Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #1

Share |

Leaking limestone shower

Hi All,

I was sat enjoying a beer on my deck the other day, and noticed drops of water on the siding which wouldn't ordinarily be a problem except that it wasn't raining. And unfortunately, above the siding is where the master bathroom shower is.

So I stripped away the plywood from the overhang to find a wad of wet insulation and some water damaged wood. The drain (hidden behind the diagonal blocking on the left of the cut-out) seems to be water-tight, and all of the wetness seems to be situated away from the drain, so next I checked the grout in the shower and sure enough there are some cracks in it.

Below are some pictures of the shower, which is made of slabs of limestone, plus some close-ups of the cracked grout.

What is the best way to fix this? Is a re-grout necessary? I'm sure there are band-aid measures to seal the cracks, but I want to make sure I nail this first time!

Also, there seems to be discoloration on the slab, maybe an iron-rich mineral deposit in the limestone which has rusted? Does anyone know if I can do anything about this? It doesn't bother me, but the swmbo keeps saying she wants me to do something about it!

Hope someone can help!

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking limestone shower-siding.jpg   Leaking limestone shower-wideview.jpg   Leaking limestone shower-crack_closeup.jpg  
Attached Images

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

Leaking limestone shower

Hi,

Here's another close-up of the crack in the grout...

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking limestone shower-crack_closeup2.jpg  

Last edited by spiragui; 03-05-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Type corrected
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

Hi Chris
Looks like you got a problem there... Seems like water has saturated under the stone and is festering there causing the stainage. If there is an issue with the mortar bed than a redo of the floor would not be a good idea since you have slab walls. If it was tile walls, you could try to remove the bottom rows, set a new bed with waterproofing and retile the floor and bottom few rows.

I'm calling a full redo unless anyone says differently but we'll be here for ya

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Tech Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #4

Leaking limestone shower

Yikes!

By full re-do, do you mean 'tearing the slabs off the wall' redo, or just grout re-do?

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Leaking limestone shower

Looks to me that your shower has no shower pan under it. Do you know how it was built? Grout has nothing to do with waterproofing. You should be able to remove all the grout and tiles/slabs and have no leaks.

Looks like a complete redo as already mentioned.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Tech Dawg (03-05-2012)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiragui
Yikes!

By full re-do, do you mean 'tearing the slabs off the wall' redo, or just grout re-do?

Cheers
Chris
Tear that puppy down!!! (And treat your wife to a nice, new brushed nickel shower valve while your at it) :whistling:

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Leaking limestone shower

Well,

I guess I was preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Looks like a redo is in the works.

Do you think it will be possible to save the slabs, or will they get destroyed when removing them? In the meantime, is there a band-aid?

Thanks for your input guys regardless guys.

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

I highly doubt you'll be able to save the slabs

I think you can turn that into a nice shower though... Start looking at wall tiles and mat tile for the floor. Depot and Lowes are selling Schluter shower kits and April 1st Laticrete International is releasing their new preformed shower kits for tiling

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #9

Leaking limestone shower

Thanks again guys. The problem with replacing the shower with tiles becomes obvious when I pull back a bit. I'll give you three guesses what the countertops are made from...

Well, at least I have a good stonemason / supplier about half a mile from here!

I guess we will think about what best to replace this with. At least I caught it relatively early, before it rotted out the sheathing and siding, and subfloor to boot! There's staining on the ribbon joist, but the subfloor looks in surprisingly good shape, and the rest of the insulation, floor joists and blocking looks sound.

I'm sure we can find something to compliment the limestone, plus my wife doesn't like the brown staining. Once again, is there anything we can use to band-aid the issue until we get the replacement spec'd out and a contractor chosen?

I'd love to have a few 'words' with the GC that built this house. Sometimes I think that the tradesmen simply threw their wares at the house as they drove past!

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #10

Leaking limestone shower

Well, the planning for the rebuild is underway. We're going to demo the shower, replace any rotted framing, and replace it with a nice tiled shower.

I'm still curious as to what happened to the pan, if it even exists!

After the initial dismay (only because I have so many other jobs on my to-do list), I think my wife is secretly a bit excited; a fancy new shower head, frameless glass door etc etc, plus she hates the brown discoloration!

Thanks for the straight-up answers all. You'll be seeing a lot more of me here in the next few weeks, as this is something I'll be doing myself. Framing, plumbing etc I'm quite comfortable with, but tiling I'm a relative noob at.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

That's great Chris! Happy wife/Happy life. Hope everything turns out great and definately show your progress pictures here

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #12

Leaking limestone shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
Happy wife/Happy life.
You're damn tootin'!

I'm actually looking forward to this now. I've been mulling it all over in my head, and think most of it will be relatively straight-forward. The main issues will be the interfaces to the existing limestone bath surround, but that's where I start picking you guy's brains...

Cheers
Chris
Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiragui

You're damn tootin'!

I'm actually looking forward to this now. I've been mulling it all over in my head, and think most of it will be relatively straight-forward. The main issues will be the interfaces to the existing limestone bath surround, but that's where I start picking you guy's brains...

Cheers
Chris

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #14

Leaking limestone shower

Errr... should I be worried that you're laughing?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
mike owes me $53 dollars

Leaking limestone shower

No, I was laughing about the brain picking part

Todd
www.aloneeagle.com

The Following User Says Thank You to Tech Dawg For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (04-24-2012)