DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tiling, ceramics, marble (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/)
-   -   Laminate Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/laminate-flooring-166724/)

svoll 12-17-2012 04:34 PM

Laminate Flooring
 
I saw a small drop of water in one of the seams of my laminate flooring. Approximately a week later, several seams started to lift up. I tried to heat up the room in hopes to evaporate the water, but it hasn't worked out yet. Looking for some ideas.

joecaption 12-17-2012 06:14 PM

What room is this?
Is it a slab or below grade?
If it's a slab is there heat or plumbing run through the slab?

svoll 12-17-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
What room is this?
Is it a slab or below grade?
If it's a slab is there heat or plumbing run through the slab?

Basement floor. Basement never leaked. Just finished construction over summer. Had several parties and get togethers and then just recently noticed water coming up.

svoll 12-17-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svoll

Basement floor. Basement never leaked. Just finished construction over summer. Had several parties and get togethers and then just recently noticed water coming up.

It is also below grade and there isn't any piping below concrete.

joecaption 12-17-2012 06:36 PM

Most laminite not even beow grade rated.
Did you follow all the instrution on all the extra steps needed to install it below grade?

svoll 12-17-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Most laminite not even beow grade rated.
Did you follow all the instrution on all the extra steps needed to install it below grade?

I believe so. My father-in-law has been doing construction for the last 30yrs. He was in charge, but now it is what it is. The biggest problem I'm having is I can't tell is something spilled or if is leaking in, because there is a small space between wood and plastic barrier every time you walk around the water keeps spreading. Don't know how to dry everything without pulling up the floor.

joecaption 12-17-2012 06:57 PM

dehumidifier

svoll 12-17-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
dehumidifier

I have one set up for about 2 wks. You think I need to just wait and give it time?

joecaption 12-17-2012 08:31 PM

If your thinking the floors going to flaten back down, most likly that's not going to happen.
Once laminite gets wet it's shot.
Also by now there may be mold growing under it.

rusty baker 12-17-2012 10:15 PM

Sounds like the moisture is coming thru the concrete, if so, it will only get worse with time.

joecaption 12-17-2012 10:28 PM

Sounds like a perimeter drain system and sump pump may be called for.
http://www.usinspect.com/resources-f...erimeter-drain

svoll 12-18-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Sounds like a perimeter drain system and sump pump may be called for.
http://www.usinspect.com/resources-f...erimeter-drain

Ok thank you. I guess I'll just have to pull up floor and clean up.

svoll 12-19-2012 04:09 PM

Thank you for all the advise. I just wanted to let you know I ripped open the sheet rock where it was the wettest and found a pipe with a small leak, which is where the water was coming from.

joecaption 12-19-2012 05:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post again!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved