DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

kitchen tile floor

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
Well, I have new counters, cabinets but the floor has to go now. I have 2 layers of linoleum and underneath a thick particle board - house was built in 1973 - Kitchen is between living room and family room, both with wooden floors and want to install something different in the kitchen. I like tile but I'm finding out it requires to take off all the old floor, including the particle board. I just found yersterday in a rather small flooring shop, a new floating ceramic tile, that clicks together like laminated floors. Of course, they require grouting and sealing like usual tiles, but they seemed easier to install. They are also pretty thick, 1/4" plus some type of grill underneath and mat that will bring it to 1/2" more or less.
I couldn't find anything on line about these tiles. Does anybody knows something? Any recommendations? The name on the tile says "Avafre" Choice but didn't find any results on line. What about switching to laminated tiles, any experiences that could help me?
Thanks in advance
Lillian

#2 ·
Jheeeezh!

Lillian you don't seem to be able to settle on anything and are simply looking for a path of least resistance.

The tile you are talking about is "Avair".

Avair is the high-end name for the Snapstone product. Here is everything you need:

http://www.snapstone.com

Avair sells for around eight bucks per square foot whereas Snapstone is around five bucks. They are the same thing basically. You can buy Snapstone on line in addition to Menard's, Nebraska Furniture Marts, All southern Canada Home Depots, and a whole list of mom and pops around the U.S. Anyone that sells Avair should be able to order Snapstone for you.

The Snapstone tiles are 7/16" thick adhered to a plastic snap-together tray. They are user friendly but if you have a personality that always seeks out a path of least resistance then these tiles aren't for you.:) Installation requires some thought and planning around doors and toilets and the like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.