Kitchen - Tile Backsplash Grout - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen - tile backsplash grout

Hello,
I have glass tile for remodeled kitchen's backsplash. I have heard different opinions on what type of grout to use. My kitchen designer friend said to definitely use epoxy, because it does not stain and does not need sealing. A tile guy told me to use the star quartz grout because it has the same good qualities as epoxy but is not as difficult or toxic. The guy installing my tile says to use regular, unsanded grout. He has never used epoxy before and has already shown some difficulty with neatness and attention to detail in installing the tiles in the mortar. He is supposed to come back next week to grout.
Is it too risky for a novice to use the epoxy?
Is the star quartz any better?
What about using regular grout with glass tiles for a backsplash?
Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Museseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,282

I would wonder about a tile pro that has never used epoxy---------------------------------------------

All three choices will work. Standard grout may get some staining over the years-However that is seldom a big issue with a back splash.

The epoxy grout(spectralock by Latacrete) is really not to difficult to use--there is some added expense.

extreme care must be used to protect the counter tops and cabinets.

Tiles must be cleaned perfectly--there is no removing grout from the face of the tile later on.

It is ,however a very user friendly product. Long open time,easy to clean off the tile.

I like the epoxy and use it a lot.

The quartz product is new,sorry I haven't used it. The slow cure times(3 days?) make it a product that would not interest me.

I hope I helped a little.---Mike---

Advertisement

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have used the quartz and you have to stay on top of it, follow the directions and like epoxy be cleaning as they direct or it will be a time for sadness. if he is not tiling well grout will be harder for him, dont let him use sanded on your glass, tape anything you dont want grout on.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Take a look at a new product by StarQuartz called StarGlass. Its the first and only grout made out of glass for glass tile projects. The concept is that opaque grouts like epoxy and cement sanded grouts detract aesthetically from the beauty of glass tile. StarGlass accentuates the look of glass tile because the grout consists of tiny glass beads in translucent urethane. The look is incredible. StarGlass is currently sold by DalTile. Take a look and you won't be dissapointed! By the way, StarQuartz products are MUCH easier to use than epoxies, and provide the best stain resistance of any grout. Its ready to use in the bucket. Stir it, float it in with a rubber float, and sponge it off with a damp sponge... that's it. Save whatever you don't use for the next job or for repairs. DIY easy... professional results.
CurtRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CurtRussell For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-14-2010)

Tags
backsplash , epoxy , grout , kitchen