DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Kerdi Band - needed?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  benr 
#1 ·
I was told by an installer not to bother with Kerdi Band, save yourself 60 bucks and just cut strips off the kerdi roll. Kerdi band is 4mil and Kerdi is 8mil. My understanding is that Kerdi Band does not get built up in the corners because it is thinner.

Anyone have an opinion or experince with this care to share some advice.

Thanks,

#2 ·
My understanding is that Kerdi Band does not get built up in the corners because it is thinner.
Well......not quite right. It still builds up, just not as much. An excellent reason to use it. Build up is one of the biggest complaint I hear.

If I was not using Kerdi Band professionally and was only doing my own shower, I would probably skip it and deal with the build up by feathering. So your choice.

I often sell DIY'rs by the foot so they don't have to buy and waste the membrane and the Kerdi Band.

Jaz

#4 ·
I just finished installing the Kerdi in my shower. After laying the tile, buildup where the Kerdi overlaps was an issue and created some minor lippage in my walls.
The band is thin for a reason.

Yes, cutting strips as a last resort will still work, but you will fight the buildup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.