Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Keraflor for Kerdi membrane

I have installed keri membrane on Keraflor thinset, which is low grade thinset i just found out. i got worried and removed little bit of the membrane and it came off easily. (no fuzz after removal) Membrane has been sitting for little more than a week. Thinset feels hardened.

Right now, i feel at a loss...I have a golfer's elbow and i really want to finish the job quickly. I also have time constraint as well.

Few options here I guess,
1. wait until thinset hardens more. I am worring about nothing.
2. remove the membrane, apply better thinset on top of keraflor then put membrane.
3. remove the backing, redo the whole wall.
4. call contractor.

myfirstbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
I have installed keri (kerdi) membrane on Keraflor thinset, which is low grade thinset i just found out. i got worried and removed little bit of the membrane and it came off easily. (no fuzz after removal) Membrane has been sitting for little more than a week.
Yes it's cheap and not what Schluter would like you to use. Someone should have recommended a better thin set. However, it does meet minimum standards for unmodified thin set. ANSI 118.1 Is it stuck? It should be fine. But next time..........

Quote:
i got worried and removed little bit
Don't do that. It will peel off with the good stuff too. That force will never happen in the installation.

Get a premium unmodified for the tiles. What are your choices? You didn't register your location.

Quote:
4. call contractor.
I don't know what your other skills are. If you're having this much trouble with the membrane, you may want to consider a tile contractor. Assuming you can find a tile setter that is familiar with Kerdi.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
Tileguy

You'll be just fine. Don't go tugging on that stuff it is fine also. We can help you more if you can provide accurate product names so we don't have to guess at what you are using.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #4

On this Kerdi job, I had to pull the membrane off once before because i had trowel marking showing on the membrane surface (it came out that greenboard was sucking the moisture from the thinset). Now, when i was peeling off the membrane, some sections were adhered so well to the wall that membrane separated, leaving fuzz on the wall. If that adhesion is what i need on the wall, i do not think i am getting that with this thinset.

I live in Northern Virginia. There is a tile place called Morris tile company, where i should have bought the thinset from. Not Lowe's...I am going to check out what Morris tile company have today. Also, I am going to use Trucolor for grout. hopefully it will minimize water penetration to cheap keraflor thinset.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Tileguy

There is nothing wrong with the products you are using. It is you that doesn't understand how they work. Don't worry about it and don't keep looking for some thing or some one to blame for something. Let's keep going and get this over with as painlessly as possible.

Quote:
On this Kerdi job, I had to pull the membrane off once before because i had trowel marking showing on the membrane surface
What does that mean exactly. Greenboard WILL NOT pull that much moisture from any thinset. Probably performed a needless task there.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #6

Well, the job is done. lets leave it at that.

As far as the adhesion for the membrane to the wall, i am not looking for the fuzz left on the wall (It took some force to peel off) when i try to separate the membrane from the wall? the membrane i separated (i knife the little piece on the top) from the wall peeled off easy and it had filmed of thinset color.

I know I maybe asking needless question, but I would like to understand things. And i am researching as I go. I should have researched more on thinset, but nontheless.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Tileguy

Hooray!

The questions are never "needless" if you feel the need to ask them.

Challenging the products may not be necessary tho.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone knows the answers to the amount of adhesion i need on kerdi?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Anyone knows the answers to the amount of adhesion i need on kerdi?
On a cloudy day about 14.6793 #. Give or take 3.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Tileguy

Which device are you using now Bud? Sounds like the sucking (vacuum) type?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote