Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 AM   #1

Share |

Installing porcelain tile and baseboard molding- which first?

I have heard pros and cons of both ways. I have some walls missing baseboard moldings so I am wondering if I should complete the missing moldings and then lay the tile against all the moldings or remove the existing moldings, lay the tiles flush to the walls and then do new moldings sitting on top of the new tiles?

elmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
DIY staff

It is best to remove all base moldings before setting your tile---a gap should be left between the tile floor and the wall board to allow for expansion and movement of the wall--this gap is hidden by the new base molding.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It is best to remove all base moldings before setting your tile---a gap should be left between the tile floor and the wall board to allow for expansion and movement of the wall--this gap is hidden by the new base molding.
+1 this.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Assuming the tiles are installed level, the new moldings should sit level on top of every tile but the grout joints would appear lower revealing a small gap. I am thinking this is visually undesirable. Is this a concern?

Last edited by elmaur; 04-17-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #5

I'm going to differ because I think it depends on what your situation is. For example, if you live in an holder house with three piece moulding and plaster and lathe walls, removing the moulding can be impractical, particularly given the repairs that will need to be done to the plaster when you replace it.

If this is your situation, or something similar, I would install the new moulding but leave the shoe moulding off... and take it off around the existing moulding. Then I would install the floor, leaving a @ 1/4"-1/3" gap between the new floor and the main baseboard piece. Then I would install new shoe moulding all around, covering the gap.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
byronksd (04-19-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

The existing molding is one piece and easy enough to remove and any resulting damage to the sheetrock will be easily repaired.
The Following User Says Thank You to elmaur For This Useful Post:
byronksd (04-19-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #7

I have a similar project. I have laminate floor in the kitchen. I want to install tile, tile baseboard. I plan on removing the laminate floor. extending the tile to the drywall. removing the old baseboard. replacing the baseboard with tile. does this sound like the correct way to do it? leave the baseboard and attach a 3/4 round molding. We are going for look not for ease. Any suggestions?
byronksd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmaur View Post
The existing molding is one piece and easy enough to remove and any resulting damage to the sheetrock will be easily repaired.
In this case, I would definitely remove the base molding, lay the tile, and reinstall the molding. It'll have a cleaner appearance, and actually look like you meant to do it that way.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
byronksd (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #9

So since no one is addressing my concern of the grout joints leaving a small gap to the bottom of the mouldings it is probably not worth being concerned about. i need to make a point at looking at porcelain tiles floors in my travels to see how the mouldings are installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to elmaur For This Useful Post:
byronksd (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
So since no one is addressing my concern of the grout joints leaving a small gap to the bottom of the mouldings it is probably not worth being concerned about. i need to make a point at looking at porcelain tiles floors in my travels to see how the mouldings are installed.
Unless you put your head near the floor, and intentionally look for/at them, you're not going to notice the little "grout dips."
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #11

Quote:
I would rather look at the grout variances then the gap of cut tile,you need to have proper gap for expansion as "OhMike" stated.

Ravenworks is offline   Reply With Quote