Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Share |

installing a pedestal sink on slate?

Very much a novice here, we're planning on tiling our bathroom floor using natural slate. However, we realized after the fact that slate is quite uneven. does anyone have any tips for installing a pedestal sink on uneven slate? Thanks for your feedback!
britt_schaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #2

Shim with plastic shims so the base sits level. Cut or trim the shims so they do not stick out past the base. Finish with caulk to match the base.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #3

Hi rege - thanks for your response! Are plastic shims widely available and something I could pick up at a Lowe's or Home Depot? Or did you make one yourself? I googled it and didn't see much. Thanks so much again!
britt_schaeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Remodeler

You can buy plastic shims at the big box stores. They will have them in the plumbing section for toilets. I would rather use grout to level the pedestal. If you can set the pedestal in place making it level in place just work the grout under the base and it will be solid when cured. Also will match the existing grout for the floor. This makes for a cleaner more permanent job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #5

may i suggest you NOT become accustomed to buying stuff at apron stores,,, we rarely buy anything there IF we need quality,,, we do, of course, when we recognize brand names AND the good-better-best stuff,,, its the apron store's location & 1-stop shopping that attracts most, NOT its inventory quality.

you message caught my eye because many think that slate from india's good stuff - it ain't ! ! ! the best slate's from here & most won't pay the price for it.

itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Tileguy

Correct!

The best slates in the world come from right here in the eastern United States but you won't find it in a big box store. You buy tile from a big box and you get what you pay for.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote