Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

installing glass mosaic tile

I am installing a backsplash with glass mosaic tiles that have a clear film face. a couple questions.

When I set the tile I have to wait an hour or so to remove the film. Will I be able to easily clean out any thinset that got in the grout lines?

somebody told me not to cut with a tile saw but to get a diamond blade for my 4" cutoff saw is this the way to go? or should I get a segmented diamond blade for my wet tile saw?

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #2

I used glass tile for my backsplash. I used a tile wet saw (the 99 dollar model from HD). with a $20 diamond blade from there also. I had no issues cutting it at all. Just keep it wet.

You just have to keep in mind that when cutting it with glass you can see the cut through. you will be able to see the undercut the blade makes. meaning sometimes you will need to hold the tile off of the table and straight in line to the center of the blade. If you cut to your marking on one side it may be more than enough or not enough on the other.

As you can see i didnt use a mosiac, but a 4" x 4" and i peeled off the clear sheet as i installed them . So then i could wipe off any thinset if needed.

This pic is prior to grout. ans caulk around the edges.

PS this was the first time i ever touched tile work!
Attached Thumbnails
installing glass mosaic tile-tile.jpg  

Last edited by baum; 01-06-2010 at 07:04 AM.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
dIYHell

thanks for the info, I need to keep the face on since its one inch tile and would be very hard to layout individually.

did you install on backerboard or drywall, I have drywall and I was hoping I could just use that instead of installing backerboard over it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

I just went right over the drywall since its only a kitchen. Now if it was a shower tile suround then i would have been a backer.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by baum View Post
I just went right over the drywall since its only a kitchen. Now if it was a shower tile suround then i would have been a backer.
thanks my drywall was primed and painted should I scruff it up?
Old 01-06-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

I didnt. I actually madt the dumb mistake of when painting that red color to paint that area on the first coat. Not needed when doing this tile.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #7

i'm using glass tile on the floor of my shower. what is the best thinset to use? how do you make sure the tile is embedded well into the thinset and still keep the grout lines clean and the glass clean?
Is there a special grout to be used for glass, considering also that it will have a lot of water splashed daily on it?
Lastly, how do you read the expiration date on a bag of thinset. There appears to be more than 4 digits and it looks like a code. It's critical the thinset not be expired since I live in a tropical very humid climate in the Caribbean.
aquitainefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitainefrance View Post
i'm using glass tile on the floor of my shower. what is the best thinset to use? how do you make sure the tile is embedded well into the thinset and still keep the grout lines clean and the glass clean?
Is there a special grout to be used for glass, considering also that it will have a lot of water splashed daily on it?
Lastly, how do you read the expiration date on a bag of thinset. There appears to be more than 4 digits and it looks like a code. It's critical the thinset not be expired since I live in a tropical very humid climate in the Caribbean.

You need to make sure you use a thinset specified for glass, preferably one recommended by the tile manufacturer. you just need to use a 3/16 notched trowl and set the tile firmly. Once the tile sets for a while you can easily go back and scrape out the thinset in the joints (just don't wait days to do this). I think any grout will work you just need to make sure to seal it really well using at least 2 applications of the sealer. You didn't say if you were using mosaic (paper or plastic faced) or standard tile. I have no idea about expiration dates of thinset I would imagine if you open the pag and its not powdery but clumpy its gotten to moist
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

thank you much. appreciate your expertise. now, for the bomb...the glass pieces did not adhere to the thinset.
yup, i was able to pull the pieces up this morning! i laid the tiles yesterday at 1pm. they are actually glass stones that look like pebbles about an half inch wide. yes, i know i theoretically shouldn't be using them...they're meant for walls, but i tested them first standing on them in water and they're not slippery, expecially with grouted seams..and feel good below one's feet. about the installation...i believe three things went wrong: 1) we probably should have used a thinset with some additive for glass, like a glue 2) i sensed from the start (but didn't heed) the thinset was mixed too thick so that i couldn't press the stones deeply enough into the thinset base. Only the backing, which is a plastic mesh, got partially embedded 3) i'm guessing the thinset had expired. i couldn't read the date since it's coded on the bag. the last 3 digits of the long # are: 0809 (Aug 09?). who knows. certainly the guy at home depot didn't or wouldn't say. he said it turns over fast. by the way, i'm in puerto rico where it's mighty humid. maybe the stuff lasts a week; maybe it gets rained on? real scary. anyway, my husband, poor guy (71yrs old and not a handyman), scraped all the stones and thinset off the base. now we begin again. we're not too daunted because we've done a lot of tiling already (2 patios; 2 bathrooms, etc) with good results. you get to know the feel of good thinset that's fresh and you need to ditch anything that feels suspicious. this project is a good example of what can go wrong. any suggestions now? (don't say 'find yourself a professional.) we're doing it, me and my honey (married 45 years). my birthday is monday (67).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdoctor View Post
You need to make sure you use a thinset specified for glass, preferably one recommended by the tile manufacturer. you just need to use a 3/16 notched trowl and set the tile firmly. Once the tile sets for a while you can easily go back and scrape out the thinset in the joints (just don't wait days to do this). I think any grout will work you just need to make sure to seal it really well using at least 2 applications of the sealer. You didn't say if you were using mosaic (paper or plastic faced) or standard tile. I have no idea about expiration dates of thinset I would imagine if you open the pag and its not powdery but clumpy its gotten to moist
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
dIYHell

Im the last person to say find your self a proffessional Home depot where I am at sells a thinset specifically made for Glass which already has the latex additives in it.. There other thinset has additiveswell but probably not as sticky? Not sure what to tell you here other that to see if there is any specialty Tile shops around to get a better thinset. Also since you are in a humid climate it might take a few days to dry fully, when I installed glass tile I was told that I could take off the plastic facing in a 2 hours where in reality I had to wait at least 8 before it was set good enough. I suggest not rushing the job and create a test piece of floor that you can try other thinset applications with and verify it works before doing the whole floor
Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #11

thank you for your good advice. yes, i think your suggestion of a trial installation is a good one. just was at home depot tonight and they knew not what could have gone wrong. i've been trying to analyze it and think i didn't back butter the stone and mesh underside. i ALWAYS do so it's mysterious that i did not. i think i just wanted to FINISH IT so i could take a shower soon. hey, i'm old and tired. still, it's a kick to know i/we did our whole bathroom ourselves. i doubt ANY man would have paid attention to the details i did, but there are exceptions. sorry. i'm sure you're an artist if you're doing professional tiling. it's to be highly respected. also, i want to check out one other thinset that might be better suited to glass tiles (in fact, stones) tomorrow. maybe it has some epoxy in it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #12
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquitainefrance View Post
it's a kick to know i/we did our whole bathroom ourselves. i doubt ANY man would have paid attention to the details
You are 100% correct here, I am not a proffesional and recently had a house remodel where 3 so called professionals (architect,Structural Engineer and Contractor) completely screwed up and did a half ass job way over budget. All of this was due to the fact that NONE of them paid attention to the details. I invested my trust into these Slackers which was a big mistake. I had to take over the job in the end and do all the trim/siding/decking/tiling/flooring myself. Im glad I did because I am sure they would have screwed up the details on that as well.

Keep up the good work, just remember the details count , your not being paid by the hour to do the job so take your time and do it right
Old 03-20-2010, 01:16 AM   #13

i quite agree, concerning the detail, but i'm laughing since i'm a 67 yr.old woman. i actually went looking today for more of those glass stones and found, instead, 2"X2" marble tiles i just might prefer for the shower floor. i'm allergic to taking more risks re: whether the mesh backed stones will adhere sufficiently and whether i'll have to take everything up once again !!!. For one thing, the grout will be much easier to apply and seal. And, by the way, i was advised to use "ultraflex 2" by Mapei. Does that sound right? Appreciate your comments.