Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Inside corner and subway brick pattern tile

I am trying to figure out the best way to transition and "weave" the corner. My layout comes out to look like either of the two pictures. Which one is the preferred way? The narrower tile in every other corner row, or the longer stretched out one? I could go either way by changing how I start the back wall in the tub alcove. Which method is more professional or are both acceptable?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by russiand; 08-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
russiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2

A or B better?
Attached Images

Last edited by russiand; 08-02-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 106

B is normally considered correct, and A is normally considered incorrect. Of course personal preference trumps, but if you're going to sell someday then maybe not.

That's assuming the tiles in B are the correct length. It might be an optical illusion, but it looks like the cut tiles are a little short. When you cut a tile on a wall in the corner, then when the pattern resumes again after the corner, the total length of the 2 pieces put together should add up to 1 tile. It should appear as if the tile is not cut, but simply has a 90 degree bend in it.
http://hammerlikeagirl.files.wordpre...he-ceiling.jpg
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Hence my conundrum. I can't make the transition be equal to the length of one tile because of how I need to start the rows on the left and right walls. So I have to choose the lesser of the two evils, either the narrow brick or the stretched out brick. Which is more acceptable given that neither is perfect?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #5

Well I started tiling and this is what I am coming up with. I think it looks better this vs the narrow tile in the corner. No visual break that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside corner and subway brick pattern tile-img_1144.jpg  
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #6

I'm not really following what your problem is. As long as the 2 broken tile pieces add up to the width of 1 full tile, you're fine. If they don't, then cut them so they do :-) You do not need to end a row with a full tile. If your tiles are 5" wide, and you get to the end of a row and have to cut a tile to 3", then you continue the row on the back row with a 2" piece. It's hard to tell from your picture, but if the widths add up, you're good.

Last edited by jeffnc; 08-17-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

OK I think I see what your problem is. You saw option B above, and thought you needed to end on a full tile. That is just a coincidence*. You end where you end, and wherever you cut the tile, you continue with the remainder of that tile on the back wall.

*Of course for many showers, you have some leeway on where you start the tile to the side of the tub. You can start as far out as you want. You can shift it a couple inches either way to end up with a full tile in the corner, if that's what you really wanted.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #8

I think my corners came out ok, I like the weaved look much better than the narrow tile in the corner option. Even if they are a hair longer than a full tile.
Attached Thumbnails
Inside corner and subway brick pattern tile-img_1181.jpg  
Old 08-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 70

Nice look---I do like the way you did the niche----

Your corners look fine---when grouted the will be great---Mike----
JetSwet (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
Tileguy

I agree your project looks just fine.

In a perfect situation "B" is the right way to install those tiles. But sometimes you have to tweak a bit to make it look right.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #11

I think it looks nice. I like the niche as well. Ideally you would have made the niche a little taller so that the top and bottom were in line with grout lines and you didn't have to cut tiles like that. It looks OK - just saying for others who are looking to do this project in the future.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #12

He, he that was my intent, I made a rookie mistake. I measured and placed my 2x4 for the niche in the right place. What I forgot to do is to allow for the 1/2 Durock jambs on top and bottom... That is what screwed up my plans for perfect alignment of the niche. I am not going to loose any sleep over this, but next time I will not make this mistake.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

One technique is to cut your niche after tiling up to the bottom of where you want your niche. Then you don't have to measure - you know it will start exactly at the top edge of that tile. You will have to measure to cut correctly for the top, but at that point it's an easy measurement.