DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Tiling, ceramics, marble (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/)
-   -   Indoor Ceramic Tile Used Outside? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/indoor-ceramic-tile-used-outside-158669/)

JohnC20 10-02-2012 08:31 AM

Indoor Ceramic Tile Used Outside?
 
Hi!
I'm building an outdoor kitchen and I am ready to tile the counter top. It's been a long time coming (doing this on weekends), and my wife finally settled on the style/color of ceramic tile we want to use, but to my dissapointment, the tile states "indoor". I was hoping that if I seal the tile and grout, I can use it outside. Is this possible?

Anyone shed some knowledge on this?

Thanks!!!

JazMan 10-02-2012 10:40 PM

John,

Being that it's an outdoor project, how about you tell us where this kitchen will be outdoors at? It's kinda the critical piece of the pie.:wink:

Wild guess by me, the answer is no, you probably can not use it outdoors. In most cases if the winters are freezing there, you will be sweeping the hundreds of pieces in the spring. :yes:

Jaz

JohnC20 10-03-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1022564)
John,

Being that it's an outdoor project, how about you tell us where this kitchen will be outdoors at? It's kinda the critical piece of the pie.:wink:

Wild guess by me, the answer is no, you probably can not use it outdoors. In most cases if the winters are freezing there, you will be sweeping the hundreds of pieces in the spring. :yes:

Jaz

Jaz... Considering I stated that I am building an outdoor kitchen... :thumbup: But it will be located on a concrete slab outside in the back yard which is tree shaded. I live in the NE on Long Island NY.

Anyway, the Lowes site states the tile is indoor/outdoor. They also state it is not frost resistant. But does this mean it cannot be used outside?

Thanks!!

JazMan 10-03-2012 08:30 PM

Aha.....Long Island. That's the part we were missing. It's kinda important when the project is outdoors.

Last time I looked I noticed it gets pretty cold on the Island.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John
Anyway, the Lowes site states the tile is indoor/outdoor. They also state it is not frost resistant. But does this mean it cannot be used outside?

There you go, you answered your own question. :whistling2:

That tile might be ideal if your kitchen was outdoors on St. Thomas or Maui. On Long Island it'll last perhaps one season.

Jaz

JohnC20 10-04-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1023277)
Aha.....Long Island. That's the part we were missing. It's kinda important when the project is outdoors.

Last time I looked I noticed it gets pretty cold on the Island.



There you go, you answered your own question. :whistling2:

That tile might be ideal if your kitchen was outdoors on St. Thomas or Maui. On Long Island it'll last perhaps one season.

Jaz

Jaz. All kidding aside, thanks for your response. I am going with Porcelain instead of ceramic.

Thanks!!

JazMan 10-04-2012 08:38 PM

Thanks for being a good sport. :thumbsup:

FYI, porcelain IS ceramic too, just harder, denser. Be sure to buy a good porcelain rated for outdoor use in freezing climates. Some tiles labeled "porcelain" are not really a true porcelain in that they may not meet the universal 0.5% water absorption test. Some really hard porcelain are rated to 0.060.

I've seen some porcelains claim to be frost proof for at least 50 cycles, what (?) only 50? I recommend a good quality tile and check out their specs. Avoid the cheapo stuff, cuz it might end up costing too much.

Jaz

JohnC20 10-05-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1023937)
Thanks for being a good sport. :thumbsup:

FYI, porcelain IS ceramic too, just harder, denser. Be sure to buy a good porcelain rated for outdoor use in freezing climates. Some tiles labeled "porcelain" are not really a true porcelain in that they may not meet the universal 0.5% water absorption test. Some really hard porcelain are rated to 0.060.

I've seen some porcelains claim to be frost proof for at least 50 cycles, what (?) only 50? I recommend a good quality tile and check out their specs. Avoid the cheapo stuff, cuz it might end up costing too much.

Jaz

No sweat buddy. I'm pretty easy going. Thanks again. I will take your solid advice. Don't want to have to re-do the tile work in the spring... :yes::thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:33 PM.