Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

I can't get the haze off........

I am having a problem getting the haze off of my ceramic tiles, after grouting.

I wiped with a wet sponge after I installed the grout, and I did not do a final wipe of the haze until the next day. Now, it seems that I can't get it completely off.

Because I have left it on overnight, does it mean I have somehow etched my tiles. OMG.....I hope not........

Is there anything I can do to get rid of it. I have wiped with a sponge with clean water but to me it seems that it is still there.

Thanks
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Tileguy

YM what would you do without this place? By now you should have the answer to your question as many times as it gets asked around here.

You have not etched anything, it can't happen like that.

First thing to try is some white vinegar mixed with warm water about 50/50. Use this solution to clean your floor a few times and see what happens.

I should probably first ask: What grout did you use?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #3

You are correct, what would I do without this place.......

The grout that I used is polyblend sanded gout.

I will try the vinegar. I am glad to hear that I have not ruined my tiles.
You mean I have to get down on my hands and knees and do each tile individually? I can't do it by mopping? OMG

How can I prevent this from happening again? I wiped after 20 minutes of putting in the grout with a damp sponge, and then I left it overnight, because I had no time to do a final wipe.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #4

Also, one more thing, the grout joints also seem to have a haze there too.

Would I just use the vinegar there also?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

If the vinegar-water mixture is ineffective you could try scraping the tiles with a plastic scraper. If all else fails, both Lowe's and HD sell a liquid for removing haze. It is in the tile section. It is an acid. Follow directions carefully and wear gloves. The label says to wait about a week (maybe 10 days) or so for the grout to set before using it. It is not supposed to harm the tiles but I'd test it on a scrap piece of tile just so there are no surprises.
To prevent haze in the future, keep wiping with a sponge or rag until every bit of grout is off the face of the tile. And of course, waiting until the next day to finish wiping is a no no.
Hope this helps.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

One thing at a time YM.

Try the white vinegar and see what happens. Then we'll talk.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #7

The vinegar worked GREAT. It has all come off. I did have to use a scouring sponge as just wiping would not do it.
But it is all gone.

The grout lines also look a lot better. There are some small spots that seem to have a little haze here and there, but not a real problem. I guess the vinegar helped in the lines also.

Thank you so much for you help.

Also, Bud, I now have grout joints that range anywhere from 1/8th of an inch to almost 1/2 inch at various spots. This was due to so many things.
First because I don't have a clue of what I am doing....... but I am learning though, and also, the spacers didn't help either.

Oh well, this is my first attempt and it is a small room 200 sq. ft.

Hopefully, the next large area will be a lot better. Also, the size of the tile that I used was a 13 inch tile, and the trowel that the thinset suggested to use was an 1/2 inch trowel, which I found difficult to work with at the beginning.

Tiling looks easier than it is..........
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #8
Tileguy

A 1/2" trowel is crazy, no way that size trowel should be used for for 13" tiles. Next time tame it down to 1/4" X 1/4" X 3/8".

You can keep the grout line size under control by using the "grid system" I told you about. If the layout is correct the tile installation has to be correct and consistent. You can't miss.

Once you seal your grout the color issues (grout) should go away.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #9

Bud, the only reason I used that size trowel was because the bag said that that was the size that I needed, for 13 inch tile.

(Maybe, because they want to sell more thinset.......)

For a 12 inch tile it says 1/4" X 1/4" X 3/8".

I do like the thought of it having more thinset underneath, does that not mean it would hold better?

For the sealer, do they come in spray bottles? Would I just spray, and is there going to be a residue on the tiles, that I have to get down again on my hands and knees to remove, tile by tile.........

Thanks for your great help
Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #10

I just bought the grout sealer. It is a liquid.

Can I put it on with a small little brush, or a Q-tip. I don't want to have to clean all those tiles again.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
General Contractor

They make a little bottle with a foam roller on it for grout sealer application. You should be able to get one anywhere that has tile supplies. Yes, you will have to get down on your hands and knees.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
the only reason I used that size trowel was because the bag said that that was the size that I needed, for 13 inch tile.
In 99.9999% of the cases that would be just plain nutty advice. Whose bag says that?

Using that much thinset will cause unnecessary purging of the thinset between the tiles. Then that crap has to be cleaned up. It is hard to clean up immediately without moving the tiles because there is so much damned thinset under them they won't stay put. It will also make the tiles harder to keep at the same elevation during installation. Inconsistency in batch mixing viscosity with cause uneven tiles. THEN, when the over abundant thinset begins to dry it will shrink terribly and take the tile with it resulting in lippage conditions that will make your floor look the surface of the moon. That recommendation is a bunch of hogwash!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #13

The thinset that said to use the 1/2 inch trowel is Versabond, fortified thinset mortar.

It says in the back that any tile over 12 inches to use a 1/2 inch trowel.

For a tile 8 to 12 inches it says to use 1/4 inch by 3/8 inch by 1/4 inch.

Let me tell you, Bud, it was not the easiest thing to do for a first timer like me.

When I looked at the other trowels that are 1/4 inch, they seem so much more manageable.....

In fact, I was going to purchase tiles 12 inches for my other room, because of the trowel size.........lol

Is a trowel 1/4 X 3/8 X 1/4, the same as the one that you suggested, 1/4 X 1/4 X 3/8?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Tileguy

OK, OK, OK, (with a smile on my face).

You took the message on the bag literally, I know I know, that's what anyone would do.

What they are trying to convey is using a larger toothed trowel with the larger format tiles. Larger format tiles being 16", 18", 20", 24", etc.

The 13" tile is a convenient metric knock-off of the American 12" tile and really isn't considered larger than a 12" for this purpose. In addition, it is likely that that copy was written by some recent college graduate that has never handled a piece of tile in his/her life. Unfortunately there is a lot of bogus information out there that has no place in the real world. The bags aren't big enough to print everything that needs to be said.

Even the trowel labels can be confusing as hell. Typically the first number is the width of the tooth, the second number is the width of the gap between the teeth, the third number is the depth of the gap. But, NOT IN ALL CASES.

I know......."clear as mud"!!!

(I wonder if I got that right)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #15

It's clear to me. Next time I'll use a 1 inch trowel........

I will use the 1/4 inch X 3/8 X 1/4 inch trowel for 13 inch or 12 inch tile.

Bud do you have any tips on the sealer, my favourite professional tile guy...........