Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

how to waterproof this small bathroom area

waterproofing the 3 walls around my new tub. I already put wonderboard up, taped and thinset the joints and applied 1 gal. of redguard. But I ran out of redguard before I could the 3 walls (I should have thinned it out first.), so I now have a small area (about 2 ft x 3 ft above the tub) on the wall opposing the shower head that's not waterproofed.

anything I can do? Would it help to apply a thin coat of thinset? I'd rather not spend another $50 on redguard for such a small area.

oldhouse49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Never seen that area waterproofed. Prime with a good primer and then same for the paint, or just add tile up that area if you wish.

That area only gets soaked, when someone is spraying water up there, while they take a shower, or cleaning the surround.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Tileguy

Although applying a surface waterproofing is often a skipped step, it's a great thing to do. Did you skip the vapor barrier on the studs? If yes, good move.

Not sure what Greg has in mind here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Never seen that area waterproofed.
Huh? why not? You saying you've never done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
Prime with a good primer and then same for the paint
Surely you didn't mean to say to apply a primer to the Wonderboard? No...of course not, but I'm not sure what then.

You simply didn't buy enough Redgard for the job. Did you know you need more than just one coat? Or...... In the end, it won't be the end of the world in you just cheat and leave it alone.

I recommend you buy another gal and apply a second coat on the whole thing per directions.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 07-28-2014 at 08:27 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouse49 View Post
waterproofing the 3 walls around my new tub. I already put wonderboard up, taped and thinset the joints and applied 1 gal. of redguard. But I ran out of redguard before I could the 3 walls (I should have thinned it out first.), so I now have a small area (about 2 ft x 3 ft above the tub) on the wall opposing the shower head that's not waterproofed.

anything I can do? Would it help to apply a thin coat of thinset? I'd rather not spend another $50 on redguard for such a small area.
Just leave it. The tile will shed any moisture that finds its way up there.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

In the end it doesn't matter much, but if "oldhouse49" wants to do a good job and also follow directions for Redgard and the application, it would be best to apply more. It's his own house so who will he be fooling by saving the $50? Just because Redgard comes in a one gal can doesn't mean any particular job will take just one gallon. It also comes in 3.5 gal. and larger too. You need a certain amount of wet film thickness which usually takes 2-3 coats.

Both Greg and Bud think the untreated area is up high. It might, be but no one said that. I think the mention of
Quote:
the wall opposing the shower head that's not waterproofed.
has them thinking it's high where it's not likely to get wet. It might be, but we don't know yet.

Some would worry about vapor infiltration if he doesn't apply the proper amount on the entire area. Once again if you wanna do it right ...........

I've seen many old showers show no sign of in-the-wall mold caused by lack of vapor barrier. Of course they were all "real mud" jobs, not the way we install walls these days. (The 1" of wall mud can hold lots of moisture before it gets through I guess).

Again, since it's only a tub surround, (not a stall shower), it'll be fine as is. But you'll be partially negating the reason you decided on using Redgard in the first place.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 07-28-2014 at 09:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Both Greg and Bud think the untreated area is up high. It might, be but no one said that. I think the mention of has them thinking it's high where it's not likely to get wet. It might be, but we don't know yet.

Jaz
the area is right above the tub, not up high.

Also, I did not put up any vapor barrier between stud and wonderboard, I read that's a no no.
oldhouse49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouse49 View Post

Also, I did not put up any vapor barrier between stud and wonderboard, I read that's a no no.
WHOPS !!! Go spend fifty bucks, I changed my mind.
gregzoll (07-29-2014), JazMan (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
I knew that!

Quote:
I did not put up any vapor barrier between stud and wonderboard
I knew that too. That's the right way to do it. You don't want double vapor barriers, as you read someplace.

So now go finish the Redgard and apply the second coat as you're supposed to. You will sleep better too.

Jaz

Bud Cline (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Tileguy

"Good Catch" there Jaz...you da man!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Jaz, I was thinking of the area above the shower head. Then again my back was killing me, and did not click.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #11
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 2

What everybody else said. When I did mine, I was compulsive in the lower areas where the water hits. If you don't think you are going to have enough to do the whole enclosure, start at the bottom and run out above the shower head.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #12
Tileguy

You guys must have missed it cuz maybe you are able to speed read. Me, I'm slow.

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

Jaz

gregzoll (07-29-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Jaz, I was thinking of the area above the shower head.
Yeah, sometimes I feel kinda silly putting on that Kerdi Seal for the shower head pipe. I mean, there are perfectly good showers that simply have the pipe sticking out of painted drywall. But it comes in the kit and customers seem to like the look of it, so I use it.

Anyway, sounds like you need more Redgard to do the job right regardless of that missing spot Oldhouse.

Last edited by jeffnc; 07-30-2014 at 08:47 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote