How To Transition From Lower Tile To Higher Tile? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to transition from lower tile to higher tile?

This is a condition at my office we currently have. The bathroom tile was installed when the building was renovated 3 years ago. The bathroom tile was built up on a mud bed in order to slope to a floor drain in the middle. The break room on the other side of the door used to have cork, but we just put in new porcelain tile last weekend after our ice machine water line flooded the place.

We used to have a beveled wood transition at this point, but IMHO it never really looked that great. The piece needs to be about 5 1/2" deep (width of hollow metal door frame) and transition up around 3/4" to 1" or so.

Our ideas so far have been a piece of marble on a sloping mud bed to be flush with the tile on both sides, or possibly some 5K PSI concrete, maybe with coloring, and polished to a super-smooth, shiny finish. Any other suggestions of what might be done here? Bud, Jaz, Mike? Would love to hear your suggestions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...c/IMG_6949.jpg

Advertisement

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 04-07-2011 at 05:54 PM.
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,232

You can do that either with tiles or a marble threshold beveled any way you need.http://www.google.com/imgres?q=marbl...w=1625&bih=861

If you go with tiles, I recommend a slightly contrasting color so you don't have people tripping.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Wow! That's a pretty good rise.

Two things come to mind.

1. I think the concrete idea would be the best but I would use the Portland product made for concrete counter tops. It has a high compressive strength and could be polished. I would think casting it in place would save a lot of BS when it came to fitting it. But polishing it may be a challenge then.

2. Corian.