How To Seal Ceramic Tile In My Shower - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to seal ceramic tile in my shower

I have a stand up shower that we just put a new base in and tiled the walls with ceramic tile. We used water resistant backer board to place the tiles on. My question is do we need to use a silicone sealer where the tile meets the shower base or do we just grout it or both. Thanks

Advertisement

skirch41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Did you install a vapor barrier behind the backer board or applied a membrane on it? Did you use pre-mixed adhesive or thin set mortar from a bag?

By "base" I guess you mean a fiberglass base or something similar. What do the directions suggest? You don't necessarily have to use silicone, but an appropriate caulk is a must, one or the other. Grout will develop a hairline crack by the next morning.

BTW, caulk is not sealer. Sealer is a liquid you now should apply to the grout for easier maintenance.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Jazman thanks for the reply....I used thin set mortar for the ceramic tile and im not sure if they used a vapor barrier behind the backer board. As far as the base which is fiberglass it did not have directions on caulking. I know I need to seal the grout with a clear sealer but I asked this quesion becuase I think caulking the bottom of the ceramic tile will look very tacky and take away from the design. So you are saying that I must caulk the space between the fiberglass base and the ceramic tile? Thanks for the reply
skirch41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

Why would it be tacky? It'll look tacky in a while when it turn dark from soap film or mildew. The caulk you should use will look just like the grout you used, except it won't crack.

What brand base is this? Some want you to leave a small spot near the front sides un caulked for drainage.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote