Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #1

Share |

How to Remove Tile to replace in-floor sensor! Help!

Hey guys I need some advice and need it quick. I have a bad floor sensor under my tile. I bought a new thermostat and tested my old sensor and it was reading 147 degrees on the floor. The one that came with the new thermostat said 68. I think my sensor is shot. My question is how do I remove my tile without damaging the floor mat that is inbedded in the mortar. I have 18" x 18" porcelain tiles. I only need to break one tile then I can reposition the new sensor in the mat. I am just nervous about ruining the mat. Now I did pour a layer of thinset over the mat and let that dry before installing the tile not sure if that will be in my benefit or not. Thanks and please respond with some ideas.

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
DIY staff

That's a tricky bit of work---you poured self leveling compound ,not thinset,I hope--

This will need to be surgically removed---I would simply smack and crack the tile and remove it in pieces.

any tools must not penetrate the mat--so be careful.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #3

Yes mike it was actually self leveling compound and not thin set. I really hope I don't screw this up. I'll just take my time and tap lightly. I will keep you posted on how it goes.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
DIY staff

Usually a few sharp taps will get it started----no tools below the tile---I usually remove the grout first --but in this case that could be dangerous---be careful ---
Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

You may want to consider the option of leaving the old sensor in place and installing the new one. At least on my setup, the sensor wire was completely independent of the warming wire. If yours is the same, you can disconnect the old sensor wire from the thermostat, and install the new sensor and sensor wire in a different location under the mat. Maybe you can gain access from underneath (my mat has access from the basement) and install the sensor wire and sensor that way.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Yeah mine is independant bit it is basement concrete. Perhaps I can put it in the grout line and cover it with grout. If I can get the temp close that is good enough for me
Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
DIY staff

If that is an option---consider using a multi-tool with a grout blade---I have a Harbor Freight one and it is very easy to control---