How To Pull Up Tile Over Ditra Underlay - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

how to pull up tile over ditra underlay

We recently installed slate tile in our kitchen with ditra underneath. Although it looks pretty, it is very impratical and "rough" for a kitchen area. We regret the decision to go with this type and want to tear it out and lay down hardwood floors instead. How hard it is to tear it all out? We have done all the work ourselves so only materials and our time invested. We want to cut our losses on the tile before proceeding with hardwood on the main level of our home. What's the easiest way to do this???

Advertisement

diyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #2

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one of my own: when you say the slate is rough, are you talking about the tile surface itself or differences in height between tiles? I ask because I'm considering putting slate in a kitchen myself.

Advertisement

JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
Computer hardware consult

Send a message via AIM to it help Send a message via MSN to it help

I had the same thing in my house. we installed cermic tiles on our slab in the kitchen. I did all the work my self and w. two hammer i got all the all the old cremic tiles broken out and got down to the slap.
two thing to be careful: 1. Making sure you get all the motor out and the ground is smooth. 2. be careful when you take out the floor because you might damage the slab.

any motor that is left on the floor will make it difficult to install the hardwood floors and will cause the floor to creek.

* make sure the slab is sealed so that it is less likely to let mosture to rise up and damage the floors from underneath.

in the case of ditra, usually its installed on top of a slab with a peice of wood in between the slap and ditra.

its going to be difficult removing it because of the the way its installed but it can still be done.

here is why watch this video: http://www.in.com/videos/watchvideo-...a-8102427.html

Last edited by it help; 08-28-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: had to add the link
it help is offline   Reply With Quote