Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
Wanna Be

Share |

How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic

Five month project coming to a head and I'm wondering if there is a trick I don't know about.

The nature of cracking the tiles has led to a slight, maybe 1/16 inch offset when the cracked edge meets a finished edge.

So, I'm wondering how can I float the unsanded grout (mixed with acrylic flexible white admixture) so that it comes as close as possible to level.

See? instead of this ------____--------_____-------.

I want -------------

Trying to minimize the lip so when this floor is walked on in bare feet you don't feel the razor sharp edges as much. It's tolerable as it is but this is my chance to make it comfortable.

any hints? I grouted the middle and then grouted the grout a few days later and that seemed to get an extra layer but that means grouting the entire thing twice.

I've tried to wait 30 minutes or more to wipe the grout off to minimize the amount that gets removed in the process but I still get an undesireable lip. Is there some trick to waiting a certain amount of time so the grout will be more firm when I sponge it off?

I'm not experienced and plunged into this learning by fire and error and will do it differently next time but I kept on saying, "This isn't the Taj Mahal." Well, it turned out to be a Basilica.

There are some more pics I can put on. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic-100_5551.jpg   How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic-100_5552.jpg   How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic-100_5550.jpg  

oggy bleacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Not a tile expert here but this is my two cents.

I assume you would like to keep the very sharp visual lines of the tile mosaic?

I have found when grouting that wiping the grout line parallel to it removes much more grout than wiping perpendicular to the joint. However in this application that is of little help.

I would consider walking around it in bare feet, identify your high/sharp edges and then rubbing them with a polishing stone. Tedious, but will give you a "walked on for a hundred years" feel.

Might even be a method using an orbital sander and fine grit paper to take the tile down to the grout level. Think it would have a lot to do with the type of tile you used though.

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.

Last edited by CplDevilDog; 05-03-2011 at 06:55 AM.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Wanna Be

Thanks for not pointing out that if I wanted smooth edges then I shouldn't have cracked the tile. I could only find round tile that was in a variety of sizes and shapes at that tile was $12 a sheet! Anyone know a manufacturer who makes sheets of "cracked" tile with finished edges all around. That's a variation that would sell if you coud figure out how to make the sheets fit together.

The tile is fired earth mosaic clay with a layer of ceramic. $4 a sheet. I like what you're saying with the sanding stone. There are a few raised points that would benefit from some grinding.

Mostly it is ok and it's probably because my feet are so sensitive that I'm looking for a solution. My friend walks in her bare feet and she doesn't feel it at all. And the dog doesn't raise any objections. But it's definitely noticeable to my bare feet.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
Wanna Be

An update to close this thread: I grouted the floor and then grouted the grout at the places where the offset was most pronounced and someone might walk. I ignored the area near the walls. It's too late to turn back now. The edges are mild now. In socks I can't even feel them. A dremel bit might be helpful at any sharp edges but the second layer of grout really leveled it all off. I'll seal it and in a year give an update.
Attached Thumbnails
How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic-100_5559.jpg   How to float grout to level cracked tile mosaic-100_5560.jpg  
Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Looks really nice. Quite a lot of impact in that project!