Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How do you install a walk-in shower in a basement with floating walls?

Hi,

I live in Colorado and have taken on the project of finishing my basement. Due to expansive soils in the area, local code requires installation of floating walls. I would like to install a walk-in shower in the basement bathroom however I'm having a hard time figuring out how to install a shower floor (shower pan) while keeping the concept of a floating wall. I've included some pictures of what I currently have as well as a sketch showing how I would like the shower to be oriented.

Another question, does the drain for the shower have to be centered in the foot print of the shower?

Any suggestion that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

R.R.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you install a walk-in shower in a basement with floating walls?-dsc03775-small-.jpg   How do you install a walk-in shower in a basement with floating walls?-dsc03772-small-.jpg   How do you install a walk-in shower in a basement with floating walls?-dsc03771-small-.jpg  
Attached Images

ronquillor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

How do you install a walk-in shower in a basement with floating walls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronquillor View Post

Hi,
...I would like to install a walk-in shower in the basement bathroom however I'm having a hard time figuring out how to install a shower floor (shower pan) while keeping the concept of a floating wall.
This link might help:

http://www.asktooltalk.com/questions...ting_walls.php

The idea is to maintain flexibility in the water supply and drain connections so that movement will not result in fractures. Sounds like rubber couplings might be useful here. As to the rest of it, my sense is that you want a solid base for the pan, but one that is not rigidly attached to the walls. A large overlap between base and wall structure should let you accomplish this. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronquillor View Post
Another question, does the drain for the shower have to be centered in the foot print of the shower?
Nope. Just trowel the pan to have the drain at the lowest point. Nothing requires it to be anywhere other than that. Good luck!

Last edited by Mr. Coffee; 02-20-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Mr. Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote