Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to clean porcelan tiles?

Eighteen months ago, I had porcelain tiles installed around my tub/shower. These tiles have/had a very high gloss. I was really looking forward to easy cleaning!

Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to clean down to the shine. Once in a while Iíll use some gel soft scrub, but I still canít get through what I think is a layer of hard water residue. I donít even have especially hard water, though my water is pretty high in acid. Itís almost enough to make me install a water conditioning system, but I just canít give up the wonderful taste of my pure well water.

I am afraid to use any harsh chemicals or abrasives but no amount of elbow grease seems to get the tiles completely clean. My first question is how to get them clean and of course, the next question is whether there is any product that would make them easier to clean in the future.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions!

Talking Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

I saw your post about problems cleaning your marble floor too. I'll bet the main problem is your water, especially for the porcelain tiles. You should not have any problems with glazed tiles, whether ceramic or porcelain.

You probably do not wipe the tiles after showers, do you? Well OK, most people probably don't, but all those minerals do build up. You need to get an acidic tile and grout cleaner and just follow directions. DO NOT use this type of cleaner on your marble though.

You can apply a penetrating sealer on the grout and also some on the tiles to fill the microscopic pores. Be sure to wipe off any excess before it dries on the tiles. Aside from sealer, some people have used Gel-Gloss or even Rain-X to protect the tiles from minerals? I know the sealer route works and is safe to do.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:49 PM   #3

>>You probably do not wipe the tiles after showers, do you?

I spray them with Tilex but I don't wipe them down daily. I must say though, this problem occurred within the first month I had the tile.

>>You need to get an acidic tile and grout cleaner and just follow directions.

Will this harm the original shine at all? It sounds like it is pretty harsh stuff.

>>You can apply a penetrating sealer on the grout and also some on the tiles to fill the microscopic pores.

Because I used an aerosol grout sealer, the tile was covered with the sealer twice when it was brand new. The sealer was not the kind that leaves a haze. Shouldn't the tile be VERY well sealed already?

>> Aside from sealer, some people have used Gel-Gloss or even Rain-X to protect the tiles from minerals?

I ever get to see the shine again, I am going to try Rain-X.

Thank you for your help!
Talking Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:58 AM   #4

Don't use vinegar or bleach. I just looked it up! I would have suggested the vinegar but the care section said to use a PH neutral solution. It just didn't list any home solutions since they were trying to sell their product.If nothing else go with clear water.All spills ect. should come off easily with marble.

LINK REMOVED

Last edited by Termite; 03-20-2009 at 08:26 AM. Reason: site rules violation, advertising link removed
tokmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Porcelain is not marble...

You can use acids or bleach on porcelain. Neutral cleaners are for natural stone.
ďThe average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,Ē
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote