Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #1

Share |

how to attach baseboard to tub?

HI all what's the best way to attach painted pine baseboard to my bath tub?

Previously I had used lock tight power grab and had moderate success. But I was also using that cheap extruded foam baseboard stuff that isnt porous.

Is there a better option?

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #2

Yes, do not attach it to the tub. A tub has a hard nonporis surface, water will work it's way behind the base and will cause mold or at least reliece the glue.
Most ofen there's just silicone caulking.
Base is stopped on the outside edges of the tub.
A picture may help to see why you think this is a good idea to do.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Total Tool (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #3

I replaced the floor with a one piece non-glue vinyl. There is a gap that needs to be covered. That else would you recommend?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

there is a vinyl product that you can purchase that you would silicone in place. It is available from places like home depot. Use a clear silicone to adhere it to the tub and the floor would be your best bet in this situation. I believe there is one that is almost like a tape that folds down the middle, if memory serves me correct it also has a self adhesive backing. Generally it is not necessary to use such a product as the vinyl flooring should come right up to the tub and then is siliconed for a water seal, but this should be a good fix.
fixrite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fixrite For This Useful Post:
Total Tool (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #5

You mean the "L" shaped pre caulked things, Fixrite? Those dont work. That's what the previous owner had there and it was useless. MAybe I'm thinking of the wrong product.

I could also nail a quarter round to the floor and caulk the top.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Here's a link with some more discussion on this topic that was helpful if anyone else finds themselves in this situation.

http://forums.finehomebuilding.com/b...base-board-tub
Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

I agree those vinyl strips do not stay stuck.
I'd use vinyl cove molding instead of 1/4 rd.with silicone behind it. It will devert the water away better.
Not the cheap foam backed stuff, real PVC.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-03-2012 at 08:21 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
HI all what's the best way to attach painted pine baseboard to my bath tub?

Previously I had used lock tight power grab and had moderate success. But I was also using that cheap extruded foam baseboard stuff that isnt porous.

Is there a better option?
When you say "painted pine baseboard" what do you mean? Are you talking about typical 3-1/4 in baseboard, or are you talking about Quarter Round, or something else?

When I refinished the oak floors on our second story (including the bathroom), I just got 3/4" Quarter Round. I bought the fiberboard stuff, because it was more flexible, and I nailed it to the floor. I caulked the tiny spaces between the trim & the tub, then painted it.

Can you nail the trim to the floor?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DrHicks For This Useful Post:
Total Tool (01-04-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Wood trim around a tub seems weird to me. Flooring should come up to the tub. What little space that should be left should be filled with a flexible caulk. Silicon, by the way, is not a caulking material but in the eyes of marketing folks at GE who suggested it could be.

If you must attach something like pine (around a tub?), you can set your table saw to notch it on the back side every quarter inch (or closer if need be) or so where you need it to bend. Saw down but of course not through the wood. Since you cannot nail it though? I guess you would have to glue it to floor or tub.

Like I say, sounds weird to me. I would not do it unless the floor install was really wacked---I guess. People are going to be in an out of the tub, adding weight to it and splashing around until they get out sloshing water down the sides of the tub. That wood trim proposed just seems prone to needing lots of attention and continuous maintenance or replacement.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
When you say "painted pine baseboard" what do you mean? Are you talking about typical 3-1/4 in baseboard, or are you talking about Quarter Round, or something else?

When I refinished the oak floors on our second story (including the bathroom), I just got 3/4" Quarter Round. I bought the fiberboard stuff, because it was more flexible, and I nailed it to the floor. I caulked the tiny spaces between the trim & the tub, then painted it.

Can you nail the trim to the floor?

The walls are painted pine 3 1/4" w/ a quarter round so thats what I was thinking. I could do either one or both or something else. I can nail to the floor. I'll probably got to the store tonight and check out the vinyl trim pieces and just to get some more ideas and see what other options out there.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

I would use the same procedure you use to attach it around the toilet.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
I would use the same procedure you use to attach it around the toilet.

Duct tape and lag bolts?

No really, how would you hide a 3/8" and 1/2" gap. It's not cut flush. I didnt think this question was going to seem so weird. I'm leaning toward the quarter round.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #13

I guess if you need to cover a 1/2" gap, your idea to nail 3/4" quarter round to the floor sounds good.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #14
Tileguy

Tool the question is weird because you NEVER apply baseboard or 1/4 round to a bathtub. It just isn't done. If you will be happy with that look then go for it but it shouldn't be done. Particular care is usually taken when cutting the vinyl to insure those types of mis-cuts are never made. It is too easy to do it correctly. If anything the vinyl (after mis-cutting) should have been pushed to the tub and gapped at the far wall where it could be hidden with 1/4 round there.

But, God knows I have done my share of mis-cutting vinyl in years past.

There exists somewhere in big box land a narrow vinyl molding. It has a kink along one edge. Maybe you could use that to glue it to the floor and let the kink climb the tub a little. Then caulk the molding to the tub and floor. It's kind of dumb fix but would hide the gaps.
Total Tool (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #15

Thanks Bud,

The floor that was in the house when we bought it was tacky 70's era green linoleum. It was glued/nailed down. There was roughly a 3/8" gap. It was caulked and there was one of those pre caulked tub corner things over the top. It looked terrible and didnt have any function.

I put in a no glue vinyl floor where it said to leave a gap so I pretty much left a 1/4" or 3/8" gap all around other than where I went under the carpet in the doorway. It's an "L" shaped floor and this was my first shot at doing something like this, so it's not perfect, but I am not going to start over at this point.

I'm not sure what you mean about the vinyl molding with a kink...?