Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Honed marble tile flooring

Hello all,

I am installing a basket weave honed marble in my entrance way. I have several questions I hope you can help me with.
- what type or brand name of thinnest should I use?
- what thickness notch should I use, 3/16?
- it is a high traffic area. What type of sealer (brand name) should I use? And should I seal before grout? I also saw a product called "easy grout" they say it goes on honed marble before grouting. Has anyone used this? Is it good idea?

Thank you in advance for your help.

dincanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Dincanta,

You haven't supplied enough info to give a good answer.

Most "basket weave" patterns I've seen are mosaics. We have no idea what you've got there. We don't know their size or thickness. We don't know what the subfloor is made of or whether below, on or above grade.

We don't know what brands or setting products you can get near you. You don't say where you are. You could be in Outer Mongolian for all we know.

How about you take 10 min. and start with a detailed question for us?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hello JazMaN,

Sorry I did not provide enough information. Ill try again.

I am laying a honed marble basket weave 1"x2" patterned tile, surrounded by a boarded of 12"x12", to create a "rug" effect. The tiles are all Venato Carrara Marble, Thickness 3/8". The exact tiles can be found here: http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/carra...ve-mosaic.html

I am placing these over the Durock Tile Membrane system, which I will install over existing tile. The existing tile and sub flooring layers are rock solid, in excellant condition, just outdated styling.

I am in NYC, between my location and the internet, I believe I have access to most products available. The problem comes with making the selection.
Between the big box stores and the local tile stores I get a different answer from each person I ask. The information I would love your advice on, as well as any other knowledge you would not mind sharing, is:
- Type of thinset? and how thick?
- I have been doing research and from what I have read and seen on youtube, am thinking of using the DuPont StoneTech system. I was thinking of their pre-grout, then their Enhancer, followed by their Heavy Duty Sealer. These are all water based products. Your thoughts?

Thanks again. Please let me know if you need more information.
David51st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you saying the old floor is ceramic set in a thick mortar base? What is the structure, the framing like? If the floor in in good shape, do you really need the membrane? Might be good to use it, but is there a reason?

I thought that was the pattern you were using, normally the 12x12" would change my answer, but if it's a mudded floor in great shape, I think you should be fine.

The thin set to use is a premium white modified. There are many brands. expect to spend $25-30 and up. A 1/4x1/4x1/4" trowel at a low angle is the right weapon.

Dupont sealers are very good. Pick the finish you want and follow their specs. Not sure if you need to use a sealer after using their enhancer, maybe? Do you know the difference between the enhancer and a sealer?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote