Help! Wall Tile Repair With No Substrate? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Wall Tile Repair with No Substrate?

Hi,
I have a tricky question and would really appreciate any advice. I need to replace 6 bathroom wall tiles around my shower hardware.

The confusing part for me is that it is floating tile. There is no substrate behind it. This section of the tile leads to an access panel. When you look through the access panel at the other intact tiles, they are floating or sitting on top of each other.

Most of the online guides show how to repair tile with substrate. How do I do it without?

I currently plan on purchasing tile nippers to fit the tile around the pipes (not sure if that is the best language). I will use a utility knife to score. Dry fit. then I don't know what to do from there.

Do I need thinset with a latex additive or just grout? What type of grout? Do I need tile spacers?

I was thinking that I would put in tile spacers and grout 1 tile in, let it partially dry, remove the spacer, then fill the little hole. I would do one tile, let it dry, then move to the space above. Can I do all of the tiles at once? If so, how will they hold themselves in place? Painters tape, temporary cardboard backing?

Also, the tiles are about 4in by 4in and are ceramic.

Once the tile is done, I will put on the hardware.

I really need some tips. I called a company to do this and it was more than I could afford.

Thanks!

Advertisement

LauraFixItGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

Just a guess without seeing it, I would say you may have had sheetrock behind the tile at one time, is now all washed away from not being sealed properly.
You will need to tear out more then 6 tiles to fix this, most likely all of it and redo it correctly.
If it is leaking, will create more water damage and mold on the floor, be a even larger more costly repair.
Again without seeing a photo of it, is hard to guess what you are seeing.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your thoughts Funfool.

If there was ever sheet rock behind it, it was probably taken out to give access to the plumbing.

I almost always suggest doing things right, but in this case, I can't open that can of worms and take out all of the tile.

Is there anyway to fix this, even if it is not an ideal option?

Laura
LauraFixItGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,238

How about posting a few pics?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

jazman you always have awesome advice, I am afraid this person can really use some good advice on how to proceed with the repair.
Seems they double posted and is more info here in this post.