DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

HELP! Sealing Shower Panels in a Mobile Home

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Seattle2k 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey all you creative people, I need help.
Two years ago, my husband and I completely refurbished a single-wide trailer (due to financial circumstances from the economy, but that's a long story).

It included an unplanned complete re-do of the entire bathroom. It turned out great except for the shower. We chose a middle-of-the-road shower kit made of high grade plastic that cost about $400.

While the wall panels and shower pan themselves have held up nicely and I'm happy with the quality, we have one major problem.

The manufacturer recommended ONLY silicone to seal the joints but there are several issues with that. Being a mobile home means that there is some 'give,' and in addition the silicone doesn't stick WHATSOEVER to the plastic anyway so any wiping or cleaning causes the beads to come right off.
Just the water hitting it causes it to come loose and subsequently it tends to grow mold around and behind the loose silicone (ick). Even if it wasn't in a mobile home, I think I would have the same problem in a house.

My question is, do you think I could use some kind of semi-solid flexible grout to fill the joints that would remain sealed, stick to the plastic without eating it, and be cleanable and 'sanitizable'? Any ideas or recommendations you have would be GREATLY appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Something was very wrong with your original silicone caulk install--

I recommend silicone again--however ,this time make sure the surfaces are super clean and DRY--

Done properly silicone caulk is darn near impossible to remove with out a razor blade.

First razor off all old silicone---then scrub the area clean of any oils or soap scum---then wipe again with alcohol----

Wait for the cracks and crevices to completely dry----compressed air will speed things up anlong with a hair dryer----NOT ONE DROP OF WATER must remain---

Next--buy a caulking gun and a tube of high quality silicone caulk----silicone goes bad if stored to long,so don't use old stuff----

If you want,I''ll tell you how to install it cleanly ----

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.