DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help! Newbie trying to tile for first time!

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Yvonne Anita 
#1 ·
Hello everyone . . . my first post . . . Had a flat wall "bumped out" and a new electric fireplace installed last week. Now I want to install tile on the entire wall (drywall). I've chosen a new product by Solistone called cubist and it is a 12x12 mesh backed, mosaic stone product. The manufacturer does not say which adhesive works best but suggests any thinset will do. Since the tile is white, and requires no grout, I want to be sure I don't get the wrong adhesive. Do I start at the bottom and work up? How do I keep the tiles from slipping? Oh, so many questions. Please help

Yvonne Anita

#2 ·
Yes start at the bottom. Strike a level line across the field, but don't start on the floor, leave a small gap of 1/8-1/4" to allow for floor movement. Use spacers as needed. Depending on the type/size tile you use will determine the size of the grout joint. They make tile spacers that help keep lines straight and even, and keep tiles from moving until thinset sets.

Check the libraries in big box stores. You should find a book on DIY tiling that can answer more questions than space allows here.

#3 ·
Thanks Just Bill . . . I plan to pick up a book on tiling today. I'm still a little concerned because this mesh backed mosaic tile has an uneven surface of 1/2 inch square stones, providing lots of "texture" and no grout is used! I've never heard of that before. Your suggestion to draw a line makes sense and to start from the bottom up. Since I want the row of tile across the top of the FP to be perfect, perhaps I should draw the first line there and tile it . . . . perhaps I can post a photo of the tile and the FP wall later today. After investing so much already in having the wall bumped out to exactly 5' across and the FP installed, perhaps I should get a pro to install the tile . . .

#9 ·
I think it's beautiful too . . . I had already read the installation instructions and you must admit they're written for experienced people. Doesn't tell anything about how to keep them from slipping . . . especially since no spacers or grout is used. I talked with a great associate in the store today and he recommended I use (and I bought a 3.5 gallon container) Acrylic Pro ceramic tile adhesive. I plan to lay out all the pieces tonight after I disassemble my Christmas Tree. Wish me luck and thanx again.

#10 ·
Yvonne,

You should re-read the instructions. It clearly states they recommend a modified thin set mortar for those tiles. Thin set is always the recommended adhesive for natural stone tiles.

Not only is thin set much better, but it's also much cheaper than that mastic they sold you.

Where in VA are you? You paid $20 a ft. for the mosaics, maybe another $8 or so for professional installation might be a good idea?

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.