Help! Newbie Trying To Tile For First Time! - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Newbie trying to tile for first time!

Hello everyone . . . my first post . . . Had a flat wall "bumped out" and a new electric fireplace installed last week. Now I want to install tile on the entire wall (drywall). I've chosen a new product by Solistone called cubist and it is a 12x12 mesh backed, mosaic stone product. The manufacturer does not say which adhesive works best but suggests any thinset will do. Since the tile is white, and requires no grout, I want to be sure I don't get the wrong adhesive. Do I start at the bottom and work up? How do I keep the tiles from slipping? Oh, so many questions. Please help

Yvonne Anita

Advertisement

Yvonne Anita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes start at the bottom. Strike a level line across the field, but don't start on the floor, leave a small gap of 1/8-1/4" to allow for floor movement. Use spacers as needed. Depending on the type/size tile you use will determine the size of the grout joint. They make tile spacers that help keep lines straight and even, and keep tiles from moving until thinset sets.

Check the libraries in big box stores. You should find a book on DIY tiling that can answer more questions than space allows here.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
lusylou (12-28-2011)
Old 01-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #3

Thanks Just Bill . . . I plan to pick up a book on tiling today. I'm still a little concerned because this mesh backed mosaic tile has an uneven surface of 1/2 inch square stones, providing lots of "texture" and no grout is used! I've never heard of that before. Your suggestion to draw a line makes sense and to start from the bottom up. Since I want the row of tile across the top of the FP to be perfect, perhaps I should draw the first line there and tile it . . . . perhaps I can post a photo of the tile and the FP wall later today. After investing so much already in having the wall bumped out to exactly 5' across and the FP installed, perhaps I should get a pro to install the tile . . .
Old 01-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

My suggestion of using spacers does not work with mozaics, but is also usually not needed if the thinset is not mixed too thin. Not familiar with tile that does not use grout. How would you make it waterproof??
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 AM   #5

Bought a tiling book yesterday and couldn't find anything about tile without grouting. I'm not too concerned about water since this is a fireplace wall . . . but at nearly $20 per tile, I'm reluctant to ruin them.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

I had to google the cubist tile. some nice looking stuff in there. Which tile did you get?

Here is link to install instructions.

http://www.solistone.com/cubist_install.shtml

I have no expertise to share, but I would love to see photos (before/after).

Best of luck and I am sure it will come out looking fantastic.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 01-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #7

Thanks for your response . . . while I just calm down to keep from talking myself out of attempting this project! I picked the cubist tile from the Solistone line . . . got it in white and it is quite beautiful.

Yvonne Anita
Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

This stuff looks great.

I think Just Bill is right on the money. Spend some time laying it out before hand.
Attached Images

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #9

I think it's beautiful too . . . I had already read the installation instructions and you must admit they're written for experienced people. Doesn't tell anything about how to keep them from slipping . . . especially since no spacers or grout is used. I talked with a great associate in the store today and he recommended I use (and I bought a 3.5 gallon container) Acrylic Pro ceramic tile adhesive. I plan to lay out all the pieces tonight after I disassemble my Christmas Tree. Wish me luck and thanx again.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Yvonne,

You should re-read the instructions. It clearly states they recommend a modified thin set mortar for those tiles. Thin set is always the recommended adhesive for natural stone tiles.

Not only is thin set much better, but it's also much cheaper than that mastic they sold you.

Where in VA are you? You paid $20 a ft. for the mosaics, maybe another $8 or so for professional installation might be a good idea?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,002

Ditto Jaz.
Yvonne,
You have one chance to get tile right. You paid a lot of money per square foot for that tile. This is not the best first time project for a diy'er. Hire a pro and sleep well.
Mike Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Yvonne,

Where in VA are you? You paid $20 a ft. for the mosaics, maybe another $8 or so for professional installation might be a good idea?

Jaz
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM   #12

Thanx to both of you, JazMan and Firehawkmph I think you're right, I'll find a professional. I'm nine miles outside Washington, D.C. in Northern Virginia . . . can you recommend someone?

Advertisement