Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Help - Bad grouting on new tile floor

i recently tiled my kitchen floor with porcelin tiles, i used a 3/16" grout line the guy at the store told me to use unsanded grout, i shouldnt have listened to him but i did, the grout is flaking with very little effort, anything will make it flake even the dogs toenail, am i going to have to remove the grout and regrout the entire floor? if so what is the best way to do it, i have read everyting from a dremel tool to a circular saw for unsanded grout.... please help

bebex111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

I have a whole bathroom full of 4 inch ceramic tiles that needs the grout removed and regrouted, that was 3 years ago and it still isnt done ..

I feel for ya, what a job redoing that floor. I wouldnt use a circular saw as you could end up cutting the tile or it could cut kick back and take a slice of tile or hand....

A tool of interest is called a oscillating tool, it looks like a Dremel but the blade vibrates back and forth. It would be slow going, but precise with the grout removal blade. Since a dogs toe nail is chipping it out it may go faster than you think. ...

The 3/16 joint should have been o.k. with unsanded, 1/4 inch or larger gets sanded. You may have gotten bad grout or it wasnt mixed and applied exactly per instructions ? good luck. jmo

Last edited by Jeeps; 04-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #3

I'm with Jeeps on this one.
Did you use premixed grout instead of mixing it yourself?
Did you add any additives to it?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #4
DIY staff

Yep---wrong grout---you should have read the instructions on the bag---

Get a Multi tool with a grout blade--Jeeps had it right---if there is a harbor freight store in your area consider one of theirs---$50 and another $15 for each blade.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebex111 View Post
i recently tiled my kitchen floor with porcelin tiles, i used a 3/16" grout line the guy at the store told me to use unsanded grout, i shouldnt have listened to him but i did, the grout is flaking with very little effort, anything will make it flake even the dogs toenail, am i going to have to remove the grout and regrout the entire floor? if so what is the best way to do it, i have read everyting from a dremel tool to a circular saw for unsanded grout.... please help
I've got the exact same thing going on in part of my office building. Unsanded grout where they should have used sanded.

The good news is that EVERY time the floor is cleaned & vacuumed chunks of grout come off. I'm just waiting it out, because the alternative is one heckuva lotta work.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote