Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardie backer board textured with thin set

I've built a heat shield behind my wood stove of Hardie backer board 1/4 inch. Because of the wieght of adding tile as the finished surface I thought of just texturing the hardie backer board and painting it. I've heard that you can texture the board with joint compound like you do on drywall, but because of the heat from the stove and the 45lbs of thinset I've got I wondered If it were possible to use the thinset in a thin layer, let it dry, sprinkle with a thinner thinset to add texture gobs like they do with dry wall and then paint. Could use any ideas please whether it work or if it will shrink and crack...has anyone done this? Thanks

wildwort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

What does the thinset manufacturer say about the heat near the thinset?
What type of thinset is it you have?
How old is this thinset you have?
What does the paint manufacturer say about the heat near the paint?
Why would the weight of tile be an issue?

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Well, I assumed and yes I know what that makes me, that if you can use tile behind wood stoves and on fireplaces and ususally thinset is involved in setting them...that thinset would be ok. I did research about the flammablility of thinset, this is modified so has latex, with a gentleman who builds fire places and got the ok...this was to be used behind tile not on the surface. Its new thinset, bought at Lowes. I did call manufacturer and really couldn't get a very specific answer. Haven't worried about the paint...I can't see a problem with it catching fire, it would be a latex and very thin layer , was more worried that it might flake off...the stove is 18 inches to 30 inches from the heat sheild, not against it. This is in a manufactured home and while I have built a pier and braced under the floor for the stove, tile pad weight, I just didn't want to add any more weight than necessary, I'm not re-inventing it just using it differently.

Last edited by wildwort; 11-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

id imagine that the heat on the paint will be more of an issue than heat on the joint compound
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwort View Post
I've built a heat shield behind my wood stove of Hardie backer board 1/4 inch. Because of the wieght of adding tile as the finished surface I thought of just texturing the hardie backer board and painting it. I've heard that you can texture the board with joint compound like you do on drywall, but because of the heat from the stove and the 45lbs of thinset I've got I wondered If it were possible to use the thinset in a thin layer, let it dry, sprinkle with a thinner thinset to add texture gobs like they do with dry wall and then paint. Could use any ideas please whether it work or if it will shrink and crack...has anyone done this? Thanks
You can easily make a "texture" of the thinset, even if it means buttering the hardiboard & sponging or brooming in a pattern. Might be a little unconventional, but certainly doable.

The bigger concern is the amount of heat on both sides of the hardiboard.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #6
liscenced electrician

im going to repeat my prevous statement and say that the heat is going to effect the paint worse than whats underneath. You will need to mix the color in with whatever your doing. Do some research on stucco
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,108

My concern would be, will this work as a heat shield? Or will it let too much heat through?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Guys/Gals this is my third attempt to answer you, my message keeps disappearing. Drhicks, thank you that is what I thought...only somewhere I read that thinset will become chalky if the water is drawn out of it too quickly, worried about it shrinking and cracking. I've experienced its fragility when cleaning up dollups I'd missed when tiling...what about wetting the concrete board just before buttering? Maybe use the fiberglass seam tape over the whole surface rather like with stucco and mesh...I'm hoping you say no here. I'm not depending just on the concrete board to shield the walls from heat. The hardie backer board is held away from the walls on 1 inch noncombustible spacers, with a gap at the bottom and the top completely open to allow air movement. Concrete board has a K value of 1.93 (K value=conductivity, smaller no. the better). The air ventilated air space is rated at .7. Micore 300 which is used in stove boards is .43. So you see the radiated heat will meet good resistence. Oh and Jimmy 21 my thinset is a dark grey...do you know of anything that will make it a light tan? If I was not trying to use up 45 lbs of thinset I might be looking into stucco.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
liscenced electrician

i have no idea, im no expert in it. I just know that paint is probably not going to hold up. Maybe oil based would hold up better? I dont know. If you want to color it, buy some concrete color additive and use like 4 times the recommended amount.

if you are worried about the hardi board sucking the moisture out, use a spray bottle and spray it with water before you start. or use a wet sponge and wipe it down
Old 11-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
Tileguy

If you want colored thinset you start with white thinset. Not going to do much to turn gray thinset into tan thinset.

Thinset applied thick will shrink and crack, no question about it. I doubt that it is do-able. It is also very sticky and being an artistic genius dragging thinset around to make it look like stucco is going to be a small challenge. It won't want to leave your trowel and it will try to peak when the trowel is removed. If Hardi is used I would SOAK the Hardi just prior to application of the thinset.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
liscenced electrician

maybe it could be put into a drywall texture gun with a big nozzle. As far as it being sticky, just wait a little while to knock it down
Old 11-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

To the OP... You are aware, aren't you, that there are a lot of "high temperature" paints out there? Rustoleum, Krylon & others, make high temp spray paint. Shoot, as unconventional as this is apparently going to be, you could use high temp engine paint.

And Bud, I'm not talking about troweling on 1/4x1/4x1/4 thickness thinset. I'm talking about a very thin layer that is given some sort orange-peel type of texture. Of course it can be done. No question. How good it can be made to look, and/or how it would hold up in an application it's not made for, is anyone's guess.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

We need a "sweeping up" smilie.....

I was thinking high temp engine paint too..... why not?

DM
Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Tileguy

The trashman commeth!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wasn't that the title of a FF or Xmen gag issue? hmmmm.... Maybe Mad?

DM