Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

Share |

Hardibacker board

Is there a right side to the board? Which side to score? How to cut out for electrical boxes?

Meg Causey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hardibacker board

Hardi 1/4" has an obvious right side to be placed outward because of the grid impression.
Hard 500 1/2" has one side slightly smoother than the other but it really doesn't matter which side is placed outward on either board.

Also doesn't matter which side you score, they are both a challenge.

Cutting-out for boxes can also be annoying. I use a diamond blade on a grinder to cut out holes but there is a lot of dust and the dust can be harmful to your health. Always use proper safety equipment when cutting Hardibacker.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Hardibacker board

I know this reply is a bit late...sorry.
I just installed almost 30 sheets of hardibacker. I found that for the straight cuts a straight edge and utility knife worked great. Score the backer several times then use pressure to simply break the backer. (Think how you would cut sheetrock - same process)
For areas that need 2 cuts I found that my handsaw worked very well.
I was using a diamond blade in my table saw but hardiboard doesn't recommend any power tools when cutting it.
As for the side up? The 1/4" backer has a grid with circle dimples on an 8" grid. Put this side up.
HAM_DIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Tileguy

Hardibacker board

Yes, it's a little too late for Meg, but it's an on going problem for people installing Hardie, and most do it wrong.

You need to score but you must snap the board the opposite of drywall.....up, not down.

If it's a small job, you can use a laminate cutter. Large jobs I use a side grinder, outside, with a fan blowing the dust away. No need to cut all the way through for straight cuts. Outlet boxes or holes, drill a hole, use saber saw.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote