Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardibacker

Hi,

I have a 2 part question.

1. Can I Use a liquid leveler over installed hardibacker?

2. When installing the 1/4" hardibacker over 1" plywood subfloor in my bathroom the green hardibacker screws did not end up flush with the cement board. What can I do in this situation? I have read other forums and they suggested that you can hammer them in the rest of the way but I wanted to know what you guys thought would be best. I should also mention that I have used different types of drills and nothing will get the screws flush. Also most of the heads of the screws are now stripped and anyway that I try (reverse or forward) it will not move. I have since transferred over to galvanized roofing nails (much easier by the way) but I don't know what to do about the protruding screws. Since the hardibacker was set with thin set could I remove the screws (if possible) after this has dried and replace them with the nails?

Sorry for the long post but I have been at this for awhile now and I am at my wits end. Thanks for any help.

Adam

adam.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,086

Hardibacker

You should be using 1/4 backer board not 1/2" what did you use?
You not trying to hit the joist are you?
Use an impact driver not a drill.
Sometimes I predrill with a masonry bit and counter sink before drill, works a whole lot better.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hardibacker

Hi Adam & Joe,

Quote:
1. Can I Use a liquid leveler over installed hardibacker?
Liquid leveler, which one?

Many people have trouble with those screws and Hardie backer. When I was forced to use those silly screws I'd drive them, then reverse the drill, then again and drive it home. However..... it's a PITA. Better off using roofing nails as you know. So, go ahead and drive more nails and grind the screw heads off.

Joe asked;
Quote:
You should be using 1/4 backer board not 1/2"
Looks to me Adam is using 1/4".

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,086

Hardibacker

Opps missed that, thanks Jazz.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #5

Hardibacker

Hi jaz and joe,

Thanks for your replies. As for the leveler I am using just a premade one called tec? It is a patch/leveler from lowes. I didn't notice before but there seems to be a hump in the middle of the room that gets increasingly worse and dips off to one side I would say maybe 1/8" + at its worst. Also what type of grinding grit should I use to get those down without also getting into the cement board? Once again thanks for your help.

Adam
Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #6

Hardibacker

Additional question about the screws. Instead of grinding them down, I was able to buy a bit that will get the screws out of the board. If I am able to get them out could I just replace them with nails or will taking the screws out mess with the stability of the backer board since the thin set has already hardened?

Thanks,
Adam