Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Share |

Grouting vinyl tiles

What is the drying time for vinyl tile grout? Also, is there a time frame for when it can be gotten wet as in a damp mop?

Tyde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #2

Grouting vinyl tiles

You grout ceramic or stone tiles - you don't "grout" vinyl tiles...are you talking about the adhesive to stick them down?

I'd say 24 hours.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

Grouting vinyl tiles

Grouting these tiles can prove to be somewhat tedious and challenging due to the shallow grout line available for grouting but anyhow, to answer your question; the drying time for these tiles would be approximately 24 hours after putting down the grout. Do not walk on the floor for that period of time until the grout is set.

Now approximately after 24 hours or after the initial application or when grout has hardened, wipe the floor again using a clean bucket of water and sponge to remove any residual grout haze. A typical scotch sponge with a mild abrasive scrubbing side would be suitable for this. Removing grout haze may require the use of some type of cleaning solution such as Armstrong Once n Done Resilient and Ceramic Floor Cleaner. However some floor grout haze removers such as Armstrong New Beginning Floor Stripper may be damaging to vinyl surface. It is best to refer to the tiles manufacturer’s instructions if possible before you begin cleaning.
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
HD Social Media

Grouting vinyl tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
You grout ceramic or stone tiles - you don't "grout" vinyl tiles...are you talking about the adhesive to stick them down?

I'd say 24 hours.
It's a newer type of tile, more or less a thicker version of the old peel and stick. It's groutable to usually an 1/8th in or you can butt the seams together.

The one I'm most familiar with is the Ceramica line from Trafficmaster, but I'm sure different brands have something similar.
AskMrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5

Grouting vinyl tiles

In my haste to post my question a few days ago, I blanked out on the type of vinyl tiles that you grout. Two good people corrected me so thanks to both.

Therefore, since I know nothing, I cannot comment; thanks again.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ccarlisle For This Useful Post:
AskMrJay (12-16-2010)