Grouting In Tight Spaces...tips Needed - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Grouting in tight spaces...tips needed

I'm getting close to being ready to grout the mini glass subway tiles that are going up as a backsplash in our kitchen. However, there are four windows that run along the counter, and I don't think my float will even fit under there at all. I'm looking for tips how to do a good job under there and get a nice result.

I'm hoping I can get specific tips from pros or those who have successfully dealt with a similar situation.

Forgive the crappy photo from my phone. Make the tiling job look very bizarre but that is just how the flash illuminated the glass tiles.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

I have, on occasion, used a small plastic putty knife, and even ended up smearing in some grout with my fingers. Pretty messy, but it got the job done.

Nice picture, by the way. That's going to be really beautiful when you're done!

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Get yourself a skinny float. I have one that's only 2" wide. Fits into most tight spaces. The other thing you can do is get a grout bag like a cake decorator bag. Unsanded grout goes through well. Sanded is a bit tougher.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Get yourself a skinny float. I have one that's only 2" wide. Fits into most tight spaces. The other thing you can do is get a grout bag like a cake decorator bag. Unsanded grout goes through well. Sanded is a bit tougher.
Mike Hawkins
THAT is a major understatement!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
I have, on occasion, used a small plastic putty knife, and even ended up smearing in some grout with my fingers. Pretty messy, but it got the job done.
That sounds like a plan. I have some areas above and below the receptacles which are one tile high. I could cut a plastic putty knife to fit perfectly. Thanks!

Clearly I was assuming this a bit more complicated than it actually is. It's unsanded grout, so it's not going to be a huge ordeal to pack the joints anyway.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
THAT is a major understatement!
Dr,
you're making me laugh. That is funny. I guess I should have said that for the sanded grout, you definitely have to use a canvas bag meant for that purpose, along with mixing the grout just a tad looser than normal. I have used one of my wife's small cake decorating bags with a 3/16" tip for unsanded grout. Most of the time I use traditional floats. I think one of the few times I used a bag to grout was with some tile in a kitchen backsplash that had a 1/2" deep v-shaped bevel with just an 1/8" size joint at the bottom of the bevel. Worked good for that, but still is a pain.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Dr,
you're making me laugh. That is funny. I guess I should have said that for the sanded grout, you definitely have to use a canvas bag meant for that purpose, along with mixing the grout just a tad looser than normal. I have used one of my wife's small cake decorating bags with a 3/16" tip for unsanded grout. Most of the time I use traditional floats. I think one of the few times I used a bag to grout was with some tile in a kitchen backsplash that had a 1/2" deep v-shaped bevel with just an 1/8" size joint at the bottom of the bevel. Worked good for that, but still is a pain.
Mike Hawkins
Yeah, the cake-decorator type bag certainly has its role. But I don't think it's a very broad role.

I'd love to see a tool that is essentially a caulk tube that you could fill with grout, plug the back end, and use it with a caulk gun. Again, limited need for it, but it could be very helpful!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Looks great what you have so far. I did my bathroom last week and used my fingers bcos I couldn't find my tool

Advertisement

DeeKayVB is offline   Reply With Quote