Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Grout Color Choice / Spacing

Hello;

I was planing on using black grout in the room shown below. We thought it would look nice to have the contrast in colors and the grout would not show stains.

I just finished laying down the last of the floor tiles. The tiles are lined up pretty well, but a few areas are off by maybe 1/16" to 1/8".

I started to get worried that the black grout would cause the slight misalignment to stand out more. I was thinking that a light grout (one that was closer to matching the color of the tiles) would blend in and you would not see any minor differences in spacing. I did 1/4" spacing.

Should I worry about how the black grout making the spacing stand out or is it not really a problem?

Grout Color Choice / Spacing-porch-tile.jpg

Thanks so much,

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
MN

You're right, a lighter color grout would make the "imperfect" spacing blend in better, but if you've decided on a darker color grout..go for it.
To me, one of the advantages of tile is the room for error. Look closely at some of the most expensive tile projects and you will see little errors here and there. Even with the minor imperfections, tile flooring is far better than most other flooring surfaces.
Be sure to look for a "stain resistant" grout. AccuColor is a quality brand.
Good luck,
Kurt

TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TileAndTimber View Post
You're right, a lighter color grout would make the "imperfect" spacing blend in better, but if you've decided on a darker color grout..go for it.
To me, one of the advantages of tile is the room for error. Look closely at some of the most expensive tile projects and you will see little errors here and there. Even with the minor imperfections, tile flooring is far better than most other flooring surfaces.
Be sure to look for a "stain resistant" grout. AccuColor is a quality brand.
Good luck,
Kurt
Thanks Kurt.

I have a bag of grout, it is a unmixed grout is powder form. The big box stores I looked at (I should be going to a flooring store, but have not found one locally that I am fond of) either had regular grout in powder unmixed for like I bought or premixed grout in tubs that was stain resistant.

The bag of grout was about $11. The pre mixed tubs (the only ones that were stain resistant) were about $31 and according to the chart o the tubs, it would take about 5 of them to grout 140sqft 12"x12" @1/4 spacing.

Does that price seem right 5 tubs @ $31 each = $155 for the grout for the room size mentioned above?

I was able to nudge a few tiles around last night to get the grout lines aligned better after I posted this message. I will make a post shortly and show how it turned out.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 12-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #4

I'm with Kurt, as long as you don't stump your toe on any of the tiles, it should be great. Make sure the grout you use is sanded as the gaps are pretty wide.

Great job on the tile!
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
MN

Jamie,
The "pre-mixed" grouts are ridiculously expensive and are mostly intended for luxury vinyl tile products (Durastone, Terrastone or other tile "look alike" products.
The powder grout that you have is great.
Be certain to read and follow the instructions carefully.
Be careful not to make it too "watery".
It is not a stain resistant type, so pick a quart of "Grout Sealer" when you're done with your project. This is a clear liquid and can be applied after the grout is cured awhile.
You can buy an applicator bottle to put it on, or use a small foam brush.
Kurt
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #6

How exactly did you "nudge" a few tiles around to make them line up better? The tiles were set in mortar and let dry and then you nudged them?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
MN

Jamie,
Ponch is right. How did you "nudge" tiles after they were set, unless the mortar was still soft. In any case, you want to make certain that you did not break the mortar bond before you start grouting.
Now would be the time to re-adhere any tiles before you get any farther along.
You can usually just "knock" on the tiles with your knuckles and hear if it sounds hollow or if it sounds secure. If you have any hollow sounds, pop up that tile, clean out the mortar and reinstall.
That is a pain in the neck, but easier to do now than it will be later.
Kurt
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
How exactly did you "nudge" a few tiles around to make them line up better? The tiles were set in mortar and let dry and then you nudged them?
I was at about 3 hours (after mixing) in a thin set product with a 2-4 hour pot life. I just nudged them around a bit with my hands and tile spacers. It was still pretty easy to move them around. I really had tried not to move them once I set them in place. I thought you were not suppose to move them around, I was afraid I would disturb the thickness of the thinset I spread on the slab. But they looked so misaligned I decided it was worth a try.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TileAndTimber View Post
Jamie,
Ponch is right. How did you "nudge" tiles after they were set, unless the mortar was still soft. In any case, you want to make certain that you did not break the mortar bond before you start grouting.
Now would be the time to re-adhere any tiles before you get any farther along.
You can usually just "knock" on the tiles with your knuckles and hear if it sounds hollow or if it sounds secure. If you have any hollow sounds, pop up that tile, clean out the mortar and reinstall.
That is a pain in the neck, but easier to do now than it will be later.
Kurt
www.tileandtimber.com
It was still within the pot life of the thinset, it was still quite soft, about 3 hours after I mixed it, when I nudged the tiles around. Today, they are set, and all seem very secure. They don't seem to have a hollow sound as if they were not attached, and I definitely would have to hammer and chisel them up, they sure don't seem to want to pop up. I tried poping one up with a screw driver, and I would have broke the tile if I tried much harder.

I may have to hammer up and replace one that has a chip at the edge, I havent decided yet, I might just cover it with grout, it is fairly small.

Thanks
Jamie
Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #10

looks a job well done,i personally would not use black grout if tiles are rough you will have a job to remove from tile grain.stick to grey as lighter colours turn that colour after a bit of traffic
nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #11
Tileguy

Jamie,

"Pot Life" is just that....POT LIFE. Once the thinset is in place and thinned between the substrate and the tile the pot-life theory is out the window. If you try to adjust tiles two or three hours into the curing process you will seriously violate the integrity of the bond so don't be doin' that anymore.

I personally think you will regret using black grout. Not only will it magnify any imperfections it will also give you a room full of squares. You will no longer have a room with a tile floor you will have a room full of squares. Seriously it will blow the whole look. Use a grout that is within the color spectrum of the tile field.

And... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't stoop to using the premixed grouts. Some of them are trash and will never harden. Those things are have created horror stories all over the Internet.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #12
DIY'er

"Pot Life" is just that....POT LIFE. Once the thinset is in place and thinned between the substrate and the tile the pot-life theory is out the window. If you try to adjust tiles two or three hours into the curing process you will seriously violate the integrity of the bond so don't be doin' that anymore.

So Bottom line in terms of tile placement and alignment, am I OK to move / nudge the tiles around as long as it is pretty close to when I laid them down the first time, say 15 minutes or something?

**Long Winded version of what happened: I was afraid this was a possibility (messing with there bond by moving them) at the time I did it. My Helper was laying down the tiles after I spread the thin set, while I was cutting. She had a lot of trouble getting the last couple rows to line up properly, even with spacers for some reason. I hemmed and hawed about moving them around a bit, and finally decided it was worth a try in the situation. The tiles seem bonded well.**

In terms of the question (from brad) about the height diff, no one is going to stub a toe on it. :-) We talking about 1/16" or maybe 1/8" at the very worst on a couple tiles. The worst of them, that are more like 1/8" off height wise are behind the door our under the hot tub.

I personally think you will regret using black grout. Not only will it magnify any imperfections it will also give you a room full of squares. You will no longer have a room with a tile floor you will have a room full of squares. Seriously it will blow the whole look. Use a grout that is within the color spectrum of the tile field.

Fortunately in terms of the imperfections, they are really pretty minor, as you can see in the photos of the other post, so minor, I don't think anyone else will ever be able to tell. My spouse seems to be quite taken with the look of the tiles and tells me she is happy with the black grout that she picked out... If it makes her happy... :-)

Seriously I do appreciate the color advice, and will not allow her to choose such a contrasting color for the kitchen tiles.

I think one of the reasons she got scared away from light grout is that in our foyer we have had horrible problems keeping the grout on our slate floor looking nice, it was stained and mistreated over the years, and has been very hard to get looking nice. She really liked the black grout because she thought it would keep us from repeting most of the same issues.

And... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't stoop to using the premixed grouts. Some of them are trash and will never harden. Those things are have created horror stories all over the Internet.

:-) I will stay with the mix - em -up products. I have no problems mixing them and follow the directions on mixing carefull and measure carefully. I feel like the consistancy was good on my thinset and grout. Thinset was kind of that creamy peanut butter consistancy. Harder to descrive the consistanct on the grout, because it was sanded, it felt a bit different, but was easy to work with, didn't seem like I got much air into the mix and was easy to spread.

The only reason I considered the premix was because I was told how they are "So Special" in there stain resistant technology. But now I understand I can achive the same effect with applying a sealer on my own.

Thanks again,

Feel free to let me know how you think it looks with the black grout in. To me it seems to look pretty professional.

Been a long long day, and tommrow is going to be much longer.

I hope you guys are having a great christmas.

Merry Christmas
Jamie