Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #1

Share |

Green board vs Durarock?

I'm in the middle of a guest bath re-tile - the bathroom is interior - no exterior walls. My installer just installed greenboard on the shower ceiling and surrounding walls. I thought he would use Durarock - but he's telling me the greenboard is just as good. Also, after reading other comments, it sounds like he should have installed a plastic or tar paper liner between the studs, and insulation. Additionally, after reading other posts, it seems he should have installed Durarock instead of Greenboard. He's coming tomorrow to start the tiling...help! I need to let him know what he needs to change or tear out. Thanks so much for your help. Renee

Last edited by Renee1; 05-31-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Renee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Green board vs Durarock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee1 View Post
- but he's telling me the greenboard is just as good.

Hi Renee, Welcome to the Forum

The enemy is Mold
Greenboard has paper
Mold eats paper
Durock has no paper

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaliBob For This Useful Post:
Renee1 (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Green board vs Durarock?

read on. Your answer... get a real contractor. Green board is not even allowed in most areas now. Durock is far better in wet locations and even this needs to be waterproofing membrane applied. Demand the green board get removed.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Mariani For This Useful Post:
Renee1 (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 AM   #4

Green board vs Durarock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
read on. Your answer... get a real contractor. Green board is not even allowed in most areas now. Durock is far better in wet locations and even this needs to be waterproofing membrane applied. Demand the green board get removed.
Thank you for your help. This is what I needed to hear to deal with the situation - ugh.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Green board vs Durarock?

you will find that greenboard cannot be used for wet location work at all. Denshield or mold free drywall (but not the best solution) can, and cement backer board with a fabric waterproofing membrane like Kerdi is the best solution. This work costs a lot of money, why do something that will only last a few years at best.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Mariani For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
DIY staff

Green board vs Durarock?

You have a problem with that installer. Listen to what has been said here. Ask what setting material he plans to use. This isn't starting well.----Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM   #7

Green board vs Durarock?

Thank you all for your comments and help. I'm waiting for the tiler to show up and I am now armed with this great info. Clearly, I should have done this research to begin with! One last question - if using Durarock - what type of "moisture barrier" should be installed before the Durarock...I would like to give my installer directives, and not leave it up to him to make these decision. Thank you!!! Renee
Old 05-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #8

Green board vs Durarock?

Thanks Mike - what do you mean by "setting materials"?
Renee
Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
DIY staff

Green board vs Durarock?

Setting material is the 'glue"---Some tilers use premixed mastic --skilled knowledgeable ones use powdered thinset.

bucket mastic is water soluble. If water gets through the tiles(and it will) the mastic will soften and deteriorate. You might be safe with a bath tub surround using mastic(thousands of tubs have been tiled using mastic)--But a shower? Not wise--not even wise for any wet area.

The powdered thinset is a cement product. When used over Durrock, thinset will hold up to any water that gets behind the tile.

It's a bit more time consuming to set tile on a wall with thinset. A ledger board is usually needed to keep the first course of tiles from sliding out of position. Spacers are used to keep successive rows of tiles in place.

If your 'tile setter' is a pretender--as I suspect he is ---he may be planning to use a pre-mix mastic.

As to a vapor barrier over the studs--under the Durrock---I don't install one(except on a steam shower)

There is a never ending debate over that point--I don't--some do----Mike----
Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #10

Green board vs Durarock?

Wow...thanks so much for detailing this out for me...I very much appreciate the education. I will ensure the installer uses a powdered thinset vs the mastic. The tile he will be installing is 12x24 travertine,and is fairly heavy. Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
DIY staff

Green board vs Durarock?

You added some info on that last post---Natural stone---I do hope this guy is not in over his head on this job.----Good luck---Mike---

Shower Construction Info (a collection of posts) - Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Tileguy

Green board vs Durarock?

I want to reinforce the fact that the use of green-board in a shower was outlawed by building codes several years ago. This installer needs to get with the program.

Modified thinset mortar is the correct thinset to use in this case and probably the white mortar is required. If he tries to use any type of tile adhesive that comes premixed from a bucket, STOP HIM! Have him collect his tools and send his inexperienced butt down the road.

Travertine should be sealed BEFORE you try to grout it. BUT, DO NOT seal the tile immediately after the installation. The tile must have several days for the moisture to leave the tile before it can be sealed properly. Then grout, then after that has dried seal again.

I think your in trouble with this guy.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote