DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Granite vanity sealing question

10K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 · (Edited)
Heyo :jester: .... installed this granite vanity top stock from HD in the bathroom reno, as you can see in the description it is "sealed for added extra protection." I double checked with the dudes in the store (I know, I know..) too.

All installed, hooked everything up, and bathroom is now in use. I noticed that drops of water that splash up on the top from the sink, or a ring of condensation from a glass left on it will cause the spot under that splash or condensation to get "darker" (not really stain, because stain sounds permanent) if that water is left there for a bit (when I notice it a couple hours later). When I wipe away the excess water/condensate, the "dark spot" is there, but if I come back in an hour or so, its gone.

That's a good thing that its gone, but leads me to believe this isn't how it should be functioning, and is indicative of a need to seal it. Or maybe I'm wrong? Not too much experience with granite, so your thoughts on whether I should seal it again or not (or other opinions) would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Edit: one more thing, if you recommend sealer, maybe a specific product? I saw 2 on the shelf at HD, not a big selection, and price was high too!

See less See more
#2 ·
Two years ago I purchased a granite vanity top with a built in white sink from Home Depot. Within a week I noticed that there were water stains near the faucet. The granite was supposed to have been sealed at the factory. The stains remained even when the water dried. I purchased a sealing liquid and attempted to reseal the granite. It had no effect as far as I could tell. The stain bothered me so I returned the vanity top to Home Depot. My brother has granite as a counter top in his kitchen and he has never had a problem with water stains, either temporary or permanent.

#3 ·
Ladies and gentlemen not all granite is created equal. In fact some products sold as granites aren't really even granite at all. If you were going to quarry, finish, and sell, a lessor granite product, who would you sell it to?

That's correct! The Big Box Stores! How do you guys think they can sell granite counter tops at one half of the going price that real fabricators are getting for granite? Remember the words of P.T. Barnum: "A sucker is born every minute.":)

#4 ·
Bud, your point is well taken. However, I knew from the price that I was not getting the best granite before I made the puchase and decided to give it a go anyway.
I think that Home Depot offers good value, good advice most of the time and friendly service all of the time. I make it a point to buy my supplies and tools there because I know the store will be there if a problem such as the granite water stain arises and I know I will be treated fairly. I'll even by-pass Lowe's which is closer to me to shop at Home Depot.
Two weeks ago I finished a bathroom remodel. Decided to buy upscale tiles from a small single owner store. Took three weeks to get a broken tile replaced and the owner wasn't very nice about it either.
I know that the pros like to knock Home Depot. But if they need a plumbing item to stop a leak or a new breaker to restore power on a Sunday I'll bet they will be at Home Depot.
By the way, I don't work for or have any connection to the store other than shopping there.

#5 ·
OK, I tried the lemon juice test (I read on another thread) and it certainly is granite... I'd assume not the highest quality (given price, HD, etc), but without debating HD quality or sourcing, any suggestions on my original questions:
- Should water make a "temporary" mark on granite that disappears in a few hours?
- If not, any suggestions on a granite sealer? Online? Stores? Brands?

Happy 4th!

#6 ·
Granite top seal question part 2

Hey LeviDiy:
I have the same problem with my homedepot purchased granite counter top. And yes I do know for sure it is granite, expensive or not. Could it be that the dark water/liquid marks is a natural reaction from the stone? I notice the water marks do go away after a short while but I dropped some oil and that left a mark that would not go away. The granite appears sealed an highly polished. I will try to get some answers but if anyone out there can help us that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
:huh:

#7 ·
Granite is a popular choice for kitchen countertops for its beauty and durability despite its poor primary permeability. Despite yearly resealing with HDs most expensive sealer I still have dark spots from wet towels or glasses that do evaporate and disappear. Even though the granite is sealed I wipe up oil spills immediately because once they are in the granite there is virtually no way to get them out.

#8 · (Edited)
made granite c-tops 30 yrs ago & the ONLY grade we used was 'monumental' stone,,, nowadays there're so many pits being quarried its impossible to know 'em all,,, good polished granite does NOT need any sealer,,, therefore ask why sealer's applied & the answer's clear - the granite sucks :laughing: when consumers buy based on ignorance, wants, & appearance, being dissatisfied's the likely result :yes:

that being said, my bride invested 40hrs & 100gal of $4.30gal gas finding the 'perfect' stone for our new c-tops :laughing: it must be perfect as she refuses to 'see' the imperfections that've developed over the last yr :furious: even tho i suspected troubles, nagzilla must be obey'd,,, she 'discovered' the stone at h/d & located their local fabricator/supplier/installer who, while competent, was just as ignorant about 'good' stone basing any attributes on cost (level a, b, c, or d),,, we'll live w/her choice.

now retired, we make conc c-tops among some other things,,, i still hate buying from ANY apron store incl h/d :censored:

#9 ·
Unfortunate

For those who post replies about their experience with sealing counter tops, thank you. But unfortunate their are others who may have knowledge of counter tops but appear to be more antagonizing than helpful in their replies. I will find get my answers elsewhere. Thanks.
Good luck Levidiy.

#11 · (Edited)
made granite c-tops 30 yrs ago & the ONLY grade we used was 'monumental' stone,,, nowadays there're so many pits being quarried its impossible to know 'em all,,, good polished granite does NOT need any sealer,,, therefore ask why sealer's applied & the answer's clear - the granite sucks :laughing: when consumers buy based on ignorance, wants, & appearance, being dissatisfied's the likely result :yes:
Truer words were never spoken, itsreallyconc is 100% on the money.. No one wants to feel they have been screwed so it is easy to get cranky when you defend your purchase thinking you have been taken but want to keep the thought of such a thing to yourself.

In my earlier comment I was trying to warn the wise. But some folks can be really dense when it comes to their pocket book. I wasn't talking about the faux-granites that are on the market when I mentioned "fake-granite".

I was talking about the lighter weight (less dense) stones that are being passed off as granites. They are not man-made products they are quarried products but of a lessor density. Therefore of lessor quality when it comes to things like absorption, compressive strength and tensile strength. True quality granite does not need to be sealed, it is too dense to even absorb a sealer. End of story.

Now, the next problem some of you are experiencing is this:

Most (if not all) of today's stone sealers are "vapor transmissive". This is to allow subsurface moisture vapor to pass through the stone so as not to trap the moisture in the stone. Typically having to do with stone floor tiles. Of course stones used on countertops wouldn't necessarily experience a moisture issue from below. That doesn't change the fact that all the sealers are still vapor transmissive. The simple truth is...if the sealer will allow rising moisture to migrate through it then the sealer will also allow moisture to penetrate from above via gravity. Therein lies the problem my friends.

To come here and get pissed because you aren't hearing what you want to hear is ridiculous. For that reason I can suggest "GOOD RIDDINS" to Nocella.

You now have the facts. I have no personal agenda other than trying to help a few lowly soles. If you cut corners and try to be cheap in some areas you get screwed, I don't care how wise you must think you are. Purchasing granite countertops is one of those areas. If you think for an instant that granite coming from a Big Box Store is a high quality granite you are badly mistaken. Badly mistaken.
Sorry but that's the way this country is going.:)

#12 ·
Got it Bud C - appreciate the background and what a sealer does (I personally wonder what good liquid in a spray bottle actually does.. but that's cause I'm no chemist).

But bottom line, with it installed already (this is a guest/low usage bathroom and was a "test" first remodel for me... obviously lesson learned before I jump into the master bath next), and no plans to take it out and replace ($$ reasons mostly), any suggestions to help or just deal with the fact that its a cheap piece of stone?

#13 ·
Any sealer that will hold out moisture will be a topical coating. You don't want that. You want a penetrating sealer so as not to change the appearance of the stone. I don't know if such products are available anymore, maybe they are. I don't know of one.

All I am trying to say is when it comes to buying granite countertops, not all granite is created equal.......

BUYER BEWARE!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.