Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

Glass vanity countertop?

We were looking to put marble on our new master bath vanity until the fabricator showed me a nice piece of white glass. We think it might work better with the design of the bathroom. Has anyone had any experience with this material? I understand that if you chip the glass, the whole piece has to be replaced. Also, the fabricator limits the edge to only one type because other edges will chip. This is not a problem for us. On the upside, glass does not stain like marble and this could be a plus with my wife's eye makeup, etc.

If anyone has had experience with such countertops, I would appreciate any info. Thanks.

longislander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Lord of Slums

Glass vanity countertop?

I would say go with your guys advise. I cut a few tabletops out of glass. I will not put tempered glass in my house.

mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
K&B Designer

Glass vanity countertop?

We put a Xylem glass vanity top into our new showroom. It IS tempered glass, as it must be for bathrooms. That's a safety requirement!

We also underlit it with Hafele LED tape lights and used a motion sensor so that it lights up when people walk past it. It's one of the things that gets the most comments in the whole showroom.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Bill Kearney

Glass vanity countertop?

Have you consider a quartz product like Silestone? They're virtually impervious to most products. There are a number of other quartz products, each with their own styles.

I like the look of glass but it's not necessarily the friendliest of materials to use. It's, well, glass and when you're putting things down on it you do have to be careful. There's also the noise factor, it'll clink, clink louder with the various product containers your wife's likely to use. That'd get on my nerves in the morning...
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote