Glass Tiles Over Kerdi (thinset Question) - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

glass tiles over kerdi (thinset question)

still trying to figure out this forum- I just posted this in the remodeling section, but figured there might be more "tile guys" here...

Hi- I've looked all over online and there seem to be many different thinset opinions...

I have 2"x1" glass tiles (mesh backing) for a shower stall that I want to install over kerdi.

Schluter recommends unmodified thinset, glass tile (supposedly) requires modified. I called Schluter and the rep said to more or less go with the glass tile mfg's recommendation (if they can even be used on a bonded waterproof membrane) but cure time for modified will be 14 to 60! days.

I understand the curing differences of the mod/ unmod, but wouldn't tiles this small get enough air through the spacing to allow the modified thinset to dry?

Has anyone installed glass tiles with any success?

I don't care about warranties/ etc. I just don't want the tile to fall off after all that work!
Unfortunately glass and kerdi are already ordered, so I'm stuck in this predicament.

Advertisement

Queso Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

glass tiles over kerdi (thinset question)

see my reply in Remodelling...

Advertisement

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote