Getting Grout Off Slate Tips - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 406

getting grout off slate tips

hey... put down some 8x16 slate and applied two coats of 511 sealer and enhancer prior to grouting. sealed in sections so I could apply and wipe excess within 3-5 minutes as specified.. did second coat 1-2 hours after first.. I tested the sealer in a few spots and water beaded up and it some dirt on the floor came right up... Sealer was applied 24 hours before the grout..

Grout was applied last night... followed manufacturer instructions to the letter.. but I can't seem to get the tile as clean as I would have expected... So what gives? I know slate has nooks and crannies which doesn't help.. but there are other spots that seem to be holding on to the grout.. do I just need to keep at it? Any tips to get it completely cleaned up finally?

Advertisement

ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,262

Re: getting grout off slate tips

Try a nylon scrubbing pad.

It is similar to steel wool S O S pad, but made from nylon.

ED

Advertisement

de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #3

Got a couple nylon scrub brushes that got most of it up.. Still some persistent spots by some of the cleft areas.. Going to pick up some alkaline haze remover and see if that helps with the rest of the cleanup..
The Following User Says Thank You to ryansdiydad For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-23-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 06:59 AM   #4

Ended up getting some sulfamic acid and that with the scrub brushes took care of it... Depending on where you look sulfamic acid is or isn't recommended for slate so test it on a leftover piece or an inconspicuous place... It seemed to do no harm to my floor.. Also be prepared to wipe it or mop it won't fresh water once or twice...
Attached Thumbnails
getting grout off slate tips-image.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to ryansdiydad For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-26-2016)