Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc
Share |

gesture of graditute

this is off topic a bit, but hopefully not too far off. I with the help of a good friend completed all the renovations to my home which included a good amount of tile, my friend who does tile for a living, from the start told me he would help me, not for income but because of our friendship. But with it being done, i want to pay him, how would i go about figuring whats, what money wise, i never had the job bid or know anything about how you pro's bill jobs ,and want to compensate him , his help was appreciated and needed , any advice or questions is appreciated thanks all
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

gesture of graditute

Did you somewhat track his hours? That's the best way.

Square footage prices are all over the place around the country and you'll get a number of arguements going here if you try to use that approach.

Estimate his hours, multiply by what you think he is/was worth hourly. In most cases wages usually start at $35 hr and go up from there for a key man/journeyman.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Experienced

gesture of graditute

As he is your freind I would say a better gesture is to wine and dine him and his wife or girl friend, maybe a play or a IMAX movie after dinner, you know a night to remember kind of thing.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
jpc
jc

Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

gesture of graditute

some what but not really, aside from showing how and working side by side, he left a set of his tools including wet saw with me the whole time to use as needed,
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #5

gesture of graditute

i agree with Jack,if he wanted money he would have told youi understand your feelings,a heart felt gift or maybe a gift certicicate for something he likes to do?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #6

gesture of graditute

I agree with Jack as well. There are times when a lot of time or wear and tear on tools is required, so even for friends, we will discuss an amount up front, but when I say I don't want to be paid anything for it, I mean just that. Nevertheless, I seldom refuse a dinner, or something like that, for my wife and me. In fact, this fall I helped a friend with some fairly extensive home repairs, and told him that I did not want anything for it, except that he could buy a new blade for my cordless circular saw, which we used quite extensively. Well, I got the blade about a month ago, when he returned the tools that I had loaned him, and this week, he handed me two tickets for an air show next summer, featuring the Blue Angels; something that he knows my wife and I enjoy, but that we seldom arrange for ourselves.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote