Front Entryway Tile Setup Ok? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 129

Front Entryway Tile setup ok?

I was putting in beige tile at my front doorway, and a lighter tile in my front room. I noticed the linoleum I removed was not flush with the wall but extended a few inches (the way the tiles are shown in the photo). I was not sure if this is esthetically nicer, or should I just move it a few inches to the left to make it flush with the wall.

I couldn't find any examples of this online, which I would think would be a common issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Entryway Tile setup ok?-front1b.jpg   Front Entryway Tile setup ok?-front1a.jpg  

Advertisement

greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

It would look better flush to the wall.
I hope you know that floors going to have to be super strong dead flat and 0 flexing with tiles that size.
Your also missing thin set and 1/4 tile board.

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It would look better flush to the wall.
I hope you know that floors going to have to be super strong dead flat and 0 flexing with tiles that size.
Your also missing thin set and 1/4 tile board.
The floor is concrete (foundation), so no problem. I'll run it flush to the wall.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Will you be doing some type of listello or border between the two tiles? They are so similar in color that without some type of separation between the two, you may run into it looking "off" rather than deliberate. Concrete floors can have dips and crowns as well. Don't forget to use a 4' level to find out where you need to have SLC or to grind down the high spots. Large format tile is unforgiving of any subfloor irregularities. It must be FLAT.
JazMan (10-07-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

I wouldn't run the entry tile flush with the outside edge of the wall, that's not the right way. It should stop short of that wall as if it was a doorway. We do see it done flush often though.

What's the measurement from the left wall to the end of the wall in question? What do 3 tiles measure? Allow for base board and shoe molding.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
Will you be doing some type of listello or border between the two tiles? They are so similar in color that without some type of separation between the two, you may run into it looking "off" rather than deliberate. Concrete floors can have dips and crowns as well. Don't forget to use a 4' level to find out where you need to have SLC or to grind down the high spots. Large format tile is unforgiving of any subfloor irregularities. It must be FLAT.
The colors are actually different. When i took the photo i increased the white balance since the photo might have come in dark. The beige tile is noticeably different in color (in my opinion). I'll post another photo.

I do have some SLC so might use it if areas are high or low. Is the concern that the tile will crack in the future, or just that the tile will not be even when it sets.

Advertisement