Flexbond Or Versabond For Tile Over Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flexbond or Versabond for tile over tile

I have two non-traditional tile jobs I'm wanting to do, and the guy in the flooring dept at Home Depot told me that these two products would work. He said using Flexbond, I could tile over existing tile, without anything else in between. Also, Im wanting to Tile a laminate kitchen countertop, he said that both products would work, but the Flexbond would do the best job. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea or if it will work? And on the countertop, would I need to sand and scuff it first? Ive done tile work before, but it was regular jobs with regular thin set and concrete board. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement

benlminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #2

According to the technical data sheet, Flexbond requires both surfaces to be sanded or scarified prior to application of the setting material. MAPEI has a special primer called ECO Prim Grip that you roll on like a paint, allow to dry and go over with a polymer modified setting material like the ones you mentioned. This eliminates the sanding process and all the dust it creates.

Advertisement

Inner Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner Circle For This Useful Post:
benlminton (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

thank you so much for the response. so if i put the mapei product on, even the glazed tile, then i could just use the flex bond as i would regular thin set on cement board? Thanks again
benlminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,254

Ben, (?)

Quote:
so if i put the mapei product on, even the glazed tile, then i could just use the flex bond
I think it would be best to also use the Mapei thinset recommended if you use the ECO primer. Otherwise follow directions for the FlexBond. I vote the the Mapei system if you can find it.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

It's amazing how box store guys will tell you anything just to sell a product.

Deglaze the old tile regardless.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #6

Since the ECO Prim Grip is a Mapei product, it would make sense to use a Mapei thin-set so you have single source responsibility. To my knowledge, Custom does not have a similar product to ECO Prim Grip. Yes, you can use the ECO Prim Grip over both the tile and the plastic laminate. Just make sure both surfaces are clean.

Advertisement

Inner Circle is offline   Reply With Quote