Flattening Plywood Underlayment - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flattening plywood underlayment

Need some advice on the best way to flatten my plywood underlayment.

I am putting 1/2" plywood on top of the existing 1 x 8 diagonal floor boards and there are some some low and/or high spots (+-3/8") in the existing floor. What is the best way to flatten these out?

I don't think SLC will work very well because the floor is a little bit out of level and it will cause some issues at a doorway.

Should I try to fill in the low spots before putting down the 1/2" plywood? If so, using what?

Or should I deal with it after I put down the plywood (but before I lay down the Ditra)?

Is it possible to use thinset and a straight edge to fill in the low spots with thinset?

Advertisement

MalcolmReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Flattening plywood underlayment

I personally wouldn't go anything less than 3/4" T&G.

I'm doing a 2-story addition to my house. Upstairs I used 1 1/8" T&G. Initially, when I first saw this on the plans I commented on it to the architect....he said "Trust me, you will be glad"

He was right...I'm glad. It's about par to walking on concrete. FLAT.....and solid.

Downstairs I have 3/4" T&G for my subfloor....now I'm wishing I had used 1 1/8"

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote