Fixing A Poorly Sloped Shower Floor. Need Some Direction Please. - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fixing a poorly sloped shower floor. Need some direction please.

Hey there,

I''m new to this forum, but I have a challenge that I need some help with.

I have a finished, tiled shower in the basement that is about a year old. The problem is that the floor is not properly sloped. Water pools everywhere. I have started to fix this myself. The shower is approx. 7ft x 7ft.

I have removed all of the old floor tiles, and have scraped away all of the old thinset, leaving me with the poorly sloped floor. What should I do next to remedy this?

I understand that I might have to start the floor from scratch, but if I can add a leveling compound or add more concrete to correct the poor slope, I would rather take that route. Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SM

Advertisement

SteveMegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,274

How much height do you need to add? Ardex feather finish might do for thin application.

If the pitch really stinks---use deck mud--trowel down some modified thinset to ensure a good bond between the old pan and the new deck mud--

Look in the top of the tiling section for "Mud,what is it" by Bud Cline---good information---Mike--

Advertisement

SteveMegg (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi oh'mike,

After finally scraping off the last remnants of the old thinset, I noticed several voids around the edge of the bed, behind the wall tiles. Small bits of the bed pulled away with the thinset as well (was a bit heavy handed with the chisel and hammer).
The pitch is pretty uneven, with segments up to 1/8" above and as much as 1/4" below drain level. It looks as if there is no real finished edge to the bed, either.
Looks like I'm going to remove the edge of tile around the floor, raise the pitch, and use deck mud and some modified thinset as you suggested.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I will post some pics (before and afters) when I am done.

SteveMegg
SteveMegg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveMegg For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-16-2012)