Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:42 PM   #1

Share |

Fitting a recessed matwell

I need to recess a mat into an existing tiled floor - van anyone help with the following:

What is the best way to cut out the outline of the mat well and remove the tiles?
What depth should the well be?
Is there a brass trimming kit to fit around the perimeter and cover the tile edge?

Any other advice would be appreciated
Yorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #2

Fitting a recessed matwell

First off welcome to the site and I hope that we can help you out on this project. After a little search on the internet I did happen to find a site that sells the mats and the frames for them. They also have a page that explains how to go about installing something like this. Now with you only giving little information about the product you currently have, I can only guess about going about this. So please check out this link and let us know if it helps or not. Here is the link: Mats and Frames

Also you asked about an easy way to cut out the tile area to put this in. This can be a little tricky depending on how you want it to look or the type of tiles that you are using. I would first take a piece of cardboard that was the size of the area you want to make into the mat area and lay it in the place you want it. Now once you have it in the exact spot see if you have to cut tiles or if you can just cut grout. I would say the more you can just cut grout the better off you are, otherwise you will have to mark the tile in the spot where it needs to be cut then take up the whole piece of tile so you can use a tile cutter. By no means is this an easy job and might be very slow moving job if you have never worked with tile before. The one thing you don't want to do is get in a hurry and end up cracking tile that doesn't need to taken up. I will stop here for now and see if this helping at all or not. If it is I can continue and if I am totally off just let me know and we will try to go about it another way. Thanks!

Damon
daman3178 is offline   Reply With Quote