Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #1

Share |

First time tiling questions

I'm going to tile a small entry way coming in from my garage and wanted to get some suggestions. I figure this will be an easy starter job before taking on bigger projects like the kitchen. I have a newer (5 yrs old) house and there is vinyl flooring in this area right now. I think there is 3/4" cdx as a sub floor.

My questions are:
After taking up the vinyl floor do I need to lay down any type of subflooring or can the tile be applied directly to the existing subfloor? I'm in Wisconsin so it will get wet with snow, etc.

It will transition to carpet, what is the best way to make this transition? The carpet will be cut so I would need a way to tack down the carpet. I would like it to go from the tile to the carpet with-out and type of trim.

Thank you for any advice, Jim

jimbremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
MN

First time tiling questions

Hello Jim,
Yes, you will need to add an underlayment after removing the existing vinyl.
Tile underlayments have changed alot over the past few years. One that I like to use, especially in colder climates (I am in MN) is Ditra Mat from Schluter. This is a roll product that looks like an orange waffle.
The "waffle" design is called an uncoupling membrane. This means that movement in your subfloor is absorbed in the waffle design and not transferred to the tile above. This prevents your tile and grout from cracking over time. As we know, all homes shift around in this part of the country.
This is also a waterproofing material and the only layer of subfloor that you would need.
It is installed with the same mortar that you will be setting your tile with.
Simply "dry cut" the Ditra Mat with a utility knife, roll back, spread a layer of mortar according to the directions, roll back in remove air pockets with a roller or similar method.
You can then immediately start laying tile on top. No waiting.
www.schluter.com
As far as your carpet.
You can buy products that will "ramp" the carpet up to the tile height for a clean transition.
A simple method that is often used by our installers is cedar shakes. They are easy to cut, available at any lumber yard in a small bundle and will never rot. Nail or staple the shakes with the wide side up to the tile and slope out under your carpet. You can then "turn and tack" the carpet or nail a length of tackstrip up next to the tile edge and tuck the carpet in just like going next to a wall. This depends on the type of carpet you are working with. Heavy friezes and shags hide everything, whereas a berber or shorter knap will take a little more skill to get a clean edge next to the tile.
Good luck and I hope this helps,
Kurt

TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote