First Time Tile - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

First Time Tile

I want to tackle my own small tiling job instead of paying someone else around $700 to do it. My wife and I have a fireplace in our basement and it currently has some dated tile about 2 feet around it. We will also be tiling the floor in from of the fireplace, about 2 feet deep by 4 feet wide.

Questions....

The floor tile will be right on top of concrete, do I need to lay down any type of plywood or cement board? Can I just put down a layer of the self leveling stuff? Any suggestions or hints on this would really help.

The wall tile (around the face of the fireplace) will just be on what appears to be sheetrock. That is how the previous ones were laid so that is how I was expecting to do the new ones. Is this correct? Just level, snap lines, thin-set, and let it rip? Again, suggestions and/or tips would greatly help.

Thanks to any and all in advance!

Advertisement

schmaltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

First Time Tile

Quote:
"self leveling stuff"
Quote:
"and let it rip"
Quote:
The floor tile will be right on top of concrete, do I need to lay down any type of plywood or cement board?
No, you can't.

Quote:
Can I just put down a layer of the self leveling stuff?
Why would you want to do that?

Quote:
The wall tile (around the face of the fireplace) will just be on what appears to be sheetrock. That is how the previous ones were laid so that is how I was expecting to do the new ones. Is this correct? Just level, snap lines, thin-set, and let it rip?
Sure! Let'er rip.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

First Time Tile

WOW.....what a helpful response......
schmaltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

First Time Tile

I sense a note of sarcasm. I certainly hope that isn't the case. What you are wanting to do can't get much simpler. If you are expecting someone to write you book that isn't very likely.

So let's start over.

Quote:
The floor tile will be right on top of concrete, do I need to lay down any type of plywood or cement board?
No, there is no way to do that effectively and it isn't needed at all. No one in the trade would do it that way. It's a stupid idea.

Quote:
Can I just put down a layer of the self leveling stuff?
No real need for that either from your description. If the floor is flat and within tolerance self leveller would be a waste of money and another stupid idea. Unless of course you just want to throw some money at the job to impress people with how much it cost you to do it.

Quote:
The wall tile (around the face of the fireplace) will just be on what appears to be sheetrock. That is how the previous ones were laid so that is how I was expecting to do the new ones. Is this correct? Just level, snap lines, thin-set, and let it rip?
That's the way it is done all the time every day by all installers. What makes this one any different?

Quote:
That is how the previous ones were laid so that is how I was expecting to do the new ones.
There ya go, you have answered your own question and didn't need to come here after all. Good luck with your project.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

First Time Tile

Actually, there are books on the subject, at home/hardware stores, and book stores. Pick one up before you start the job.

If the concrete is level, no cracks, OK to lay tile right on that. If there are cracks, an isolation membrane is needed to prevent the cracks from telegraphing thru to the tile.

Lay out the room before you start tiling. There should be even tiles all around, but not small pieces. If it works out that there are small pieces, start with full tiles in the most visible spots and the pieces is least seen. Stike lines and follow them. Nothing looks worse than a tile floor that is not straight.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote