Fireplace Hearth Dilemma - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace hearth dilemma

Hello, I have a unique situation which I would really appreciate advice on. I tore down my interior brick fireplace wall and hearth. My question is regarding the hearth, it's down to bare concrete the area that I need to tile is 18"x50". The problem I'm facing is the granite tile starting on the wall is 1" above concrete floor, the thickness of the tile is 3/8". I need suggestions on how to lift the tile about 1/2" off the concrete floor, otherwise the gap between the floor tile and the wall tile would be over 1/2". I thought of using hardi backer, then read that it cannot be attached directly to concrete, then I thought of using plywood and bonding with construction adhesive, read that wasn't a good idea as well.

FYI - The area is very small and will only be decorative.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

musa1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Fireplace hearth dilemma

Hi,

Just thinking out loud...........was wondering why the new granite walls tiles are 1" off the floor, and why the floor tiles weren't installed first?

Easy solution. Spread a bonding coat of thin set on the concrete, place the appropriate thickness of "deck mud" (sand topping mix), spread, level, and double check by placing tile and beat in. Remove tile and back butter with thin set. Set tile.

I know you're wondering what the heck I'm talking about, so look at this video. Disregard the silly parts, but you should get the idea. Come back with your questions.

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace hearth dilemma

Thank you for you prompt reply.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

would that be a suitable product? and would i just frame around where i need to set it, pour it in, spread it and level it? Also would I just put the granite tile directly on this or back butter as you said the tile after this is dry?

The reason I wanted the hearth 1" off the ground is so that it is slightly higher than surrounding flooring.

Thanks again for your help.
musa1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

Fireplace hearth dilemma

Yup, that's the stuff. No frame needed. It's mixed kinda thick like in the video. Remember this stuff will not stick to concrete, you have to spread thin set on the concrete then on this mix for the tiles. You do all that in one step, you do NOT let the sand mix dry. Watch the video again.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote