Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1

Share |

fastening wire mesh to hardibacker

Are 1" crown staples driven pneumatically OK for attaching chicken wire to hardibacker? We have decided to float the backsplash because the framing is so wavy. My tile guy says he can't staple to hardibacker with his regular T50 staple gun.

John Sempek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
My tile guy says he can't staple to hardibacker with his regular T50 staple gun.
Yow-well he's right about that!!!
A T-50 isn't a staple "gun" to begin with. And it wouldn't be anywhere near capable of using the correct staples.

Quote:
Are 1" crown staples driven pneumatically OK for attaching chicken wire to hardibacker?
Not sure what that* was supposed to have been but a 7/16" crown X 1-1/2" leg would be the staple to use, assuming the Hardi isn't over drywall. The thing is...the Hardi probably won't hold the staple anyway unless you were hitting a stud with every shot. That's what I would strive for.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Tileguy

Quote:
My tile guy says he can't staple to hardibacker with his regular T50 staple gun.
Yow-well he's right about that!!!
A T-50 isn't a staple "gun" to begin with. And it wouldn't be anywhere near capable of using the correct staples.

Quote:
Are 1" crown staples driven pneumatically OK for attaching chicken wire to hardibacker?
Not sure what that* was supposed to have been but a 7/16" crown X 1-1/2" leg would be the staple to use, assuming the Hardi isn't over drywall. The thing is...the Hardi probably won't hold the staple anyway unless you were hitting a stud with every shot. That's what I would strive for.

I'm not sure how that's going to to work if the mesh is going to cause the mud to stand proud of the adjacent wall. Guess I don't know enough about what you are trying to do.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

straighten the wall first with some hot mud then screw the backer on and tile. actually if you straighten the wall with compound you wont need the hardibacker, it is ok to stick the backsplash tile to the drywall isnt it tile pros?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
it is ok to stick the backsplash tile to the drywall isnt it tile pros?
Yup!

Quote:
actually if you straighten the wall with compound you wont need the hardibacker
Yup! That's what I would do.
Use Durabond 90 and a straightedge.
No Hardi, no wire, no mud, no staples, no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-26-2011)