Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |

Facing shower with stone

So I'm going to preface this by saying that I have very little experience, however I live in a foreign country and nobody understands what I want done. Sooooo, here we go. I have a bathroom that I am remodeling. I am planing on facing the shower with half dollar sized stone. The problem I have is that the building is made entirely out of concrete and somehow the previous homeowner tiled the bathroom in such a way that I can not remove these insanely ugly tiles from the wall. I have tried chiseling them off, but this is slow going and as I take off tile I am also making divots in the concrete. There are already minor divots in the wall above the tiles (they only tiled about a third of the way up the wall) so my plan was to patch the wall with concrete. can I just put a layer of concrete over the tiles that are there and then begin facing the wall with stone? Or is this a bad idea?

osloslosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

Facing shower with stone

Very bad idea for several reasons.
Stone would be impossible to keep clean.
The more seams the more chances for water to get in behind the tiles and loosen them.
A few nicks are not going to matter, they can be skim coated with thin set.
Need a tool like this to make it faster.
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/T...x?pid=11255VSR

osloslosher (01-13-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #3

Facing shower with stone

So no to facing the shower with stone, or no to leaving the tiles on? I never thought of using my drill to get them off. I have a hammer drill and I can probably acquire a chisel bit. thanks for that.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Tileguy

Facing shower with stone

Oslo,

No, no, you've got it wrong. That tool is not a drill, you can't put a chisel on your drill. Your hammer drill is for make holes.

Stones are not a good choice for wet areas. Sometimes we can tile over the old walls, but usually not. Can you post some pics?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
olzo55 (01-14-2014), osloslosher (01-15-2014)
Old 01-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #5

Facing shower with stone

So here are three pictures of the bathroom. I don't know anything about the subsurface besides that it is concrete. So if you are saying stone is a bad idea, does that pretty much narrow it back down to tile?
Attached Thumbnails
Facing shower with stone-img_20140114_114609.jpg   Facing shower with stone-img_20140114_114643.jpg   Facing shower with stone-img_20140114_114701.jpg