Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Efflorescence

Hi all, just finished laying down my floor tile on Saturday and grouted on Sunday. The grout is suppose to be a an earthy colour, while most is, some is lighter than others as a result of efflorescence. I have read to use vinegar and water 50/50, but how long should I let the grout cure before I tackle this? Is it safe to do it now after 48 hours, or wait longer? Is it safe to apply on the tile to?

Thanks!

moosejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

Efflorescence

......and how do you know you are experiencing efflorescence?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #3

Efflorescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
......and how do you know you are experiencing efflorescence?
There is a chalky film that returns when just cleaned with water and by researching other posts on here, but there was no mention of how soon you could use the 50/50 mixture.

Thanks Bud!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
Tileguy

Efflorescence

I doubt that it is efflorescence, it is probably just everyday grout haze. It's always more fun to have an exotic disease than it is to have a common cold. It's been long enough. Use the vinegar solution and try it, see what happens.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #5

Efflorescence

I went ahead and tried the 50/50 mixture, about 25% better results. Today I tried 100% vinegar and it looks like there is only 25% left. I think another round of pure vinegar will get rid of it. If it was effloresence, would vinegar be working or would you need to use sulfamic acid?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Tileguy

Efflorescence

One more application and your floor will be officially "pickled".
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #7

Efflorescence

Hi Bud, I tried the 100% vinegar three times with no success. I rinsed and even neutralized just in case as well as use a wet/dry vac to pic up any standing water. What do you suggest I try now? I am very hesitant with using Sulfamic Acid as it seems it will disolve the grout?

Thanks Again!

Last edited by moosejohnson; 09-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Efflorescence

Did/do you have a moisture problem under the floor tile? Efflorescence requires a vehicle (moisture aka water) to bring it to the surface. When the water evaporates, the chalky residue remaining is efflorescence (alkaline matter inherent in cementitious components). Concentrated acids will remove efflorescence, but will also etch your tile and create a profile in your grout. Suggest sticking with vinegar and water, let dry, and seal your grout after 48 hours. to determine if you have a moisture problem in your floor, tape a piece of visqueen down, let sit overnight. If you see condensation or water droplets on the inside of the plastic, you are getting moisture from somewhere.
chowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #9

Efflorescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowell View Post
Did/do you have a moisture problem under the floor tile? Efflorescence requires a vehicle (moisture aka water) to bring it to the surface. When the water evaporates, the chalky residue remaining is efflorescence (alkaline matter inherent in cementitious components). Concentrated acids will remove efflorescence, but will also etch your tile and create a profile in your grout. Suggest sticking with vinegar and water, let dry, and seal your grout after 48 hours. to determine if you have a moisture problem in your floor, tape a piece of visqueen down, let sit overnight. If you see condensation or water droplets on the inside of the plastic, you are getting moisture from somewhere.
Hi there, i checked for moisture problems before I installed Ditra and tile, so I am okay there.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Efflorescence

Then your issue is probably not efflorescence and just residual from the grout curing.
chowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
Tileguy

Efflorescence

It's not very likely that you are dealing with efflorescence. I think I already said that. Oh yow I did already say that. Well then that's where I heard it!!!

A little vinegar isn't going to harm the tile unless you use it full strength to clean for the next thirty years. An abundance of vinegar may discolor the grout but you haven't used enough to cause that to happen. Besides if you have been cleaning everything with your vinegar efforts, then any discoloration would be universal and you wouldn't even notice it was happening.

Using sulfamic crystals won't hurt anything either if you use it in moderation. First, I would now try a "grout haze remover" product. (Scheesch, I feel like a shade-tree-auto-mechanic just throwing parts at a car hoping something will finally fix the problem.)

The Visqueen idea is not going to tell you anything. THERE IS NO RISING MOISTURE ISSUE. This is grout haze, grout haze, grout haze.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #12

Efflorescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It's not very likely that you are dealing with efflorescence. I think I already said that. Oh yow I did already say that. Well then that's where I heard it!!!

A little vinegar isn't going to harm the tile unless you use it full strength to clean for the next thirty years. An abundance of vinegar may discolor the grout but you haven't used enough to cause that to happen. Besides if you have been cleaning everything with your vinegar efforts, then any discoloration would be universal and you wouldn't even notice it was happening.

Using sulfamic crystals won't hurt anything either if you use it in moderation. First, I would now try a "grout haze remover" product. (Scheesch, I feel like a shade-tree-auto-mechanic just throwing parts at a car hoping something will finally fix the problem.)

The Visqueen idea is not going to tell you anything. THERE IS NO RISING MOISTURE ISSUE. This is grout haze, grout haze, grout haze.
Thanks Bud, I will try the grout haze remover first and let you know, as always you da man!
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
Tileguy

Efflorescence

Wish I could offer a more positive appraoch but without having been there it's hard to know what would be the shortest path. Just have to try a few things until something works.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #14

Efflorescence

Hey Bud, tried the Grout Haze Remover and still didn't work . It actually made it worse. What would you suggest is my next course of action....re-grouting?

Thanks as always for your help!!

Last edited by moosejohnson; 09-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.