Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #1

Share |

Durock quarter inch on walls?

I'm working on new shower/bathroom area and I will be using steel studs for the frame.
My tile is 8"x48" porcelain tile. The Mfg http://mediterranea-usa.com/usa/boardwalk/ says it is a floor tile but looks great as a wall finish, which is what I will be using.
I purchased 1/4" Durock sheets for my tile backer because I didn't have to worry about matching existing drywall thickness. When I started to see what my required stud spacing would be for Durock, they say 1/4" is for floors. Can I still use this for walls when I'm using such large sections of tile?
Do I need to return this and get 1/2"?

7SistersRanchTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
DIY staff

Yes, you must use 1/2 inch for the walls-----those studs better be very flat---such large tiles require a perfectly flat wall---

Old 03-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Tileguy

Absolutely no 1/4" CBU for walls. Be sure the metal studs are 20 gauge or thicker.

What's your plan for waterproofing? Is this a shower or tub surround? Have fun with those monsters!

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Yeah, those tile are gonna be fun. Especially on a wall. I would definitely look into a tile leveling system with those things. There are several to choose from.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #5

Jaz,
I planned on waterproofing with the roll-on sealer from Lowes or HD.
This will be a full shower with toilet and sink.

I'm only running 1 row vertical so they are standing on end and only be at 48".

Blondesense, since I'm only doing 1 row, would I need that leveling system? I would start the first one near the corner and level the edge and butt all the rest up against that one. Maybe start in the middle.

Oh'mike, I will be normal tile on the concrete floor, would I have to use the durock there or have to?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SistersRanchTX
I planned on waterproofing with the roll-on sealer from Lowes or HD.
Sorry, that is not an answer, there is no product by that name. I'm trying to determine how you're gonna do this and with what specific products. Get back with specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SistersRanchTX
I'm only running 1 row vertical so they are standing on end and only be at 48".
It doesn't matter how high you go. The difficulty comes within the area of each tile. The wall need to be very flat. The tiles are likely to not be perfectly flat, that can be a problem. Tiles that large are going to have some degree of warpage.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #7

JazMan,

Sorry. I will be placing metal studs every 12"O.C. due to the durock 1/2" only being 3' wide. Attaching the durock to the studs every 8".
I will then coat the durock with "Mapelastic AquaDefense" waterproofing and crack isolation membrane from Lowes that is applied with a roller.
Then apply thinset with polymer additive to the walls and apply the tile.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
Tileguy

I don't know the size of your shower, but the boards normally go horizontally on the widest wall. But, 12" oc is good.

Be sure to follow the wet-film thickness directions for the Aqua Defense. Usually 2-3 coats.

How about the floor, how are you building the floor? The lower walls, curb and floor are the important part and where 95% of the failures happen when not done right.

Jaz

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Jaz is right. Be SURE you seal the hell out of the space. Contrary to popular belief tile and backer board are NOT waterproofing elements. Putting up the membrane properly goes a long way toward eliminating problems with leaks, mold and the like. We did our old tub/shower with RedGuard and it worked great. 5 years after the job was done we tore down the house. I tried to separate a bit of of the marble listello tile but the bond of the RedGuard and thinset were tougher than the tile! Our new ones will all be Kerdi membrane, as the tile guy's been very pleased with how it works for him. Either way works, just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions to the fullest.

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durock, quarter, tile, wall